Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a used 98 Gt for my son's high school grad gift and the dealership said it has a 5.4installed instead of the stock 4.6 liter engine.
My question what would be the quickest and best way to see if this is true.
I have no idea about mustangs. but i would appreciate any help.... email me if you would or post if your unable to mail....thanks Duggr

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Im not aware of any 5.1 mod motors. And the the last year for a pushrod 5.0 was in 1995.

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
your vin # , punch it in at carfaxs , and it will tell you what engine it had stock from the factory !

5.4 in a Mustang GT ,sorry not from the factory, if it has a 5.4 ,someone did a swap !
Dealerships will tell you anything to buy there junk, :rolleyes: !

·
Registered
736 Posts
If you've ever driven a 4.6 you would be able to tell just from the torque of the car. It should pull down low like a vette or viper.

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
NoSlow5oh said:
If you've ever driven a 4.6 you would be able to tell just from the torque of the car. It should pull down low like a vette or viper.
Is that a joke !:rollgrin: SOHC 4.6 with great low end torgue:heha: ! thats funny !

·
Registered
736 Posts
LOL - He asked how he would be able to tell if it had a 5.4 in it. Compared to the 4.6, the 5.4 motor is a torque monster and the torque difference would be completely noticable in daily driving.

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
.............................................did you mean!
NoSlow5oh]If you've ever driven a 4.6 you would be able to tell just from the torque of the car. It should pull down low like a vette or viper

·
Registered
736 Posts
ran260gt said:
.............................................did you mean!
NoSlow5oh]If you've ever driven a 4.6 you would be able to tell just from the torque of the car. It should pull down low like a vette or viper
I don't understand?

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
NoSlow5oh said:
The way is written ,it sounds like you are saying that the 4.6 should pull like a vette or viper ! :shrug

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
He was saying the 5.4 should pull like a vette or viper.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
A previous owner COULD have swapped a 5.4 in the car but it is a semi-difficult swap involving custom exhaust work and machining a few things on the block. It is more likely that the car salesman is A. an idiot B. lying C. a lying idiot. He's just tying to make a sale. It's my personal experience that car salesman don't know anything about cars. They know how to sell and that is it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OKay guys...heres what I know.
The car dealer said it was professionally installed by whoever sold it....They bought the car at an auction. The dealer said the only way he could tell that it wasn't stock is that the motor mounts were custom made. Also! the passenger side valve cover says 5.4 liter. When I went to get the oil changed they also had to add an extra quart of oil to bring the oil level up to full as compared to what the 4.6 liter uses. I have never drove a 4.6 But this car seems to have quite a bit of torque and it goes threw the gears unusually quick, any more thought on this

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
THe only real way we can tell for sure is for you to put some pics of the engine bay. That should give us the indo we need to answer any questions.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
duggr said:
OKay guys...heres what I know.
The car dealer said it was professionally installed by whoever sold it....They bought the car at an auction. The dealer said the only way he could tell that it wasn't stock is that the motor mounts were custom made. Also! the passenger side valve cover says 5.4 liter. When I went to get the oil changed they also had to add an extra quart of oil to bring the oil level up to full as compared to what the 4.6 liter uses. I have never drove a 4.6 But this car seems to have quite a bit of torque and it goes threw the gears unusually quick, any more thought on this
If it goes through the gears quick then it probably has gears in it too. My guess would be 4.10s. Sounds like you have a bit of a sleeper. Try to post some pics of this stang so we can check it out.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I don't think the stock hood will even close over a 5.4. Comparing a 4.6 to a 5.4 is like comparing a 302 to a 351. The 5.4 is taller and wider than a 4.6. It will definately have custom exhaust work at the manifolds.

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
tbird said:
I don't think the stock hood will even close over a 5.4. Comparing a 4.6 to a 5.4 is like comparing a 302 to a 351. The 5.4 is taller and wider than a 4.6. It will definately have custom exhaust work at the manifolds.
The biggest difference with the 5.4 and the 4.6 is the crank, the block dimonsions are the same, the intake manifold and plenum are taller with the 5.4, but there is a adapter so you can run you intake manifold and plenum from the 4.6 !

·
Registered
149 Posts
A 5.4 block is taller than a 4.6. Look in the back of the Ford Racing Parts catalog. The deck height of a 4.6 is 8.9370, a 5.4 is 10.0787. That is why the intakes are not the same. The reason for the adapters is because the 5.4 manifold selection is not as good as for a 4.6, so you can use any 4.6 manifold on a 5.4.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.