Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 98 gt for sale and the car is in great shape for having 123,000 miles on it. I am wanting to buy the car so I can use it as a project car. The problem is when you start it up there is a squeaking sound that is very clear almost near the fly wheel. This takes place right at start up and you never hear it again until next start up. Everything on the motor is stock and it all looks good. The clutch feels like its brand new, but I just dont like that sound. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sound is coming from the back of the motor. It almost sounds like it is coming from the clutch, but it only did it at start up.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Its probably the throwout bearing, a part that commonly goes bad on Mustangs. Its a cheap fix.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Someone told me that it could be the starter going out. Something to do with the bearing being bad and its a sign that the starter is about to go out. He was telling me that this to is a common problem with fords.

G

·
That could be it too.. It don't do it after it's been running? just at start up.. maybe it's that starter then... but if it's does it while running then it may be the throwout bearing..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it only does it at start up. As soon as the motor turns over you hear the noise for about a second, then thats it. Like I said the clutch in it feel almost new.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Sounds like maybe the bendix in the starter motor is getting a little worn or bound up. It's an $80 part and 3 hours to replace the starter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.