Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car just hit 110K miles.. I'm wanting to put 3.73 gears in, what gears would you recommend and what else do I need to get? I was looking at AM, the FR 373 gears.. Which install kit should I get and do I need to get the Traction-LOK Rebuild Kit w/ Carbon Discs? What about the recalibration tool?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm in the process of doing the same on my 98 GT. I'm doing gears with the bearing install kit. I'm also doing the traction lok rebuild. I have a few more miles than you do at 150K but at this point our cars have had a lot of years and miles on them. I'd rather spend a little more now and while I have the rear-end apart freshen it up opposed to having it break and have it torn apart twice.

As far as the re-calibration tool, I think it's the best option for getting our speedo's correct. I've hear a lot about the replacement speedo gears for the T-45 being flimsy and not fully correcting the speedo.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
+1 on speecal and i would def get a master rebuild kit and the carbon clutches.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, Which brand would you guys use? I was looking at the Ford Racing 373s. On AM It offers a Ford Racing Install kit($100) or a Installation and bearing kit($75), which one should I get? I've heard a lot of negative stuff around that recalibration tool from AM. Where could I get a better one at?

·
Registered
62 Posts
3.73 gears

i really think the brand does not matter i have the ford racing 3.73 as long as they are put correct and here no noice when driving you'll be alright as for doing the traction lock it will be wise to do it while the rear end is off as for calibrating dont think u fix it with a diblo tuner or sct it doesnt worl like that go to steeda.com and get the 23 tooth speedo gear it will be off by 2mph only better than 10

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I am pretty sure the handhelds correct the 99 and up models.

I am doing gears also our stock 2.73's are no good I got 90,000 on the clock doin gears, ford racing rebuild kit, and trac-loc rebuild kit all from american muscle.

Yet I am still trying to decide on what gears to go with I am leaning more towards the 3.55's right now but for you I would recommend the 3.73's that is what I would go with if I was not adding turbo!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again Ford and Jc, I'll check out the steeda site. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts