Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

There is one Y shaped metal heater hose connected to the top of the water pump, I try to pull it out so that I can remove the water pump. By following the illustration on the manual, i found out it is impossible to pull the hose out by hand. I was about to pry it out or heat the water pump, but I am afraid of damaging the tube itself. Before i do any irreversible damage or something stupid, would someone please help me on this?
Best regards,
alex

·
Registered
98 Posts
I ran into the same problem while trying to remove that pipe a while back. It did not simply pull out. The first thing I did was to check the local pull-your-own junkyard to try to remove one first. For two reasons; one to see how best to pull it out of a wrecker without worrying about it if it did break, and second of all, if I did manage to break the one on my own vehicle I would have a backup I could easily drive back to the yard and buy it.

Back to the topic though:
I used a combination of lightly rocking it back and forth, and alternating using a flat head screwdriver under the tab where it bolts down to lightly pry it up. Once it initially popped loose, it was fairly easily to pull out. I bent the tab a bit, but it was easy enough to straighten out.

Thats what worked best for me, but success depends on the condition of the pipe and how much force you actually use, just use your best judgement.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the thing is really tight, not even able to wiggle somehow, i try to use a chisel under the tap, and knock with a hammer, but still does not go , maybe i will try it tomorrow, or when the thing is hot, I will try to use the torch, since the hold down bolt will prevent the tube pop up, that means when the engine is running hot, it is more likely to pop up.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Whatever did you do with this? I'm looking to replace that pipe now. Mine was so stuck in there it broke in half.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts