Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had recently replaced the clutch in my 98 Mustang, this was about 2 months ago. Recently, I noticed some odd things.

1) There is a clicking sound when I step on the gas, or let my foot off the gas. Also, when I drive over some bumps, i hear the same clicking sound. The sound definitely sounds as if it's coming from the tranny.

2) A couple of weeks I noticed some minor hesitation going through all gears, at all speeds. This has progressively worsen.

3) I also noticed the smell of gas, near the tank. Now, there is a steady drip of fuel, only when the engine is on.

Now, the car bucks bad in 1st and 2nd gear and hesitates more at higher gears.

Given the symptoms and noted problems, I've narrowed the issue to one of two (or both) problems.

Either the clutch is slipping, maybe a loosened pressure plate?

-or-

Lack of fuel and/or fuel pressure.

I've not yet found the fuel leak, it is def' somewhere in/near the tank. I've looked around on this forum and not found a similar post on fuel tank leak. Does anyone know, do late 90's mustangs have known issues with fuel tank leaks?

Also, should I take the time to re-set the clutch? I would hate to spend the 2 days in doing so if I don't need to... But the clicking is concerning?

I'm afraid I have 2 issues to deal with... :so

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
When my friend got her 98 auto V6 she had a similar problem. Her gas tank leaked and when her dad started to poke around he found that the grommet was bad from the fuel tank to the fuel line. Maybe that is your problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fixed

Thanks for the reply. I managed to fix the underlying issue, which was bad spark plugs and/or wires. Some of the plugs were in very bad shape to where they wern't firing. It didn't occur to me that plugs would be the problem, I replaced them less than a year ago...

I inspected the gas tank, the grommet on the intake pipe is infact broken, it's in 2 pieces now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.