Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, is it really true that the mach 1 is faster than the 99 and 01 cobras? I know that they have the 3.55 gears, but how is this possible. Are the gears the major reason?

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
99-01 Cobra - 320hp , 317lb-ft , 3.27 IRS rear .
Mach 1 -310hp, 335lb-ft , 3.55 standard axle .

The Mach 1`s lower gear ratio , more torque , and a Standard rear axle helps it get off the line faster !

A really good driver could get (Mach 1) low 13`s , vs mid 13`s for the 99-01 Cobra !

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
1. The Mach has more horsepower and torque than advertised.
2. The Mach has a straight axle which is faster at the dragstrip than the Cobra's IRS.
3. 3.55 gears.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Monkey Boy said:
1. The Mach has more horsepower and torque than advertised.
2. The Mach has a straight axle which is faster at the dragstrip than the Cobra's IRS.
3. 3.55 gears.
Ok, so lets say that a 2001 Cobra has 3.73's in it. What else would i need to be able to compete with the Mach 1. I mean by adding or through HP not like tires or traction mods.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
3.73's should even it up at the least. I'd dare say it's a driver's race from there. Any other mods at that point is bonus.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
yea, next car i get would probably be a mach1 , and if i have money by then and i am out of school...... would be a 03 04 cobra, because i really wanna have the forged motor to play with.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
MattKelley02GT said:
Ok, so lets say that a 2001 Cobra has 3.73's in it. What else would i need to be able to compete with the Mach 1. I mean by adding or through HP not like tires or traction mods.

What are you wanting to do with your car? From a roll on the street, both cars would run about the same. The biggest factor hurting the Cobra on the dragstrip is the IRS. But the IRS is better at the road course.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought IRS was a lot more wanted and desirable though. I know it helps at the track, but why else would you want it if its really not that wanted?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
IRS is better for handleing and what not, but if you want a drag set up a straight axle is much better because the IRS will BOW when torque is applied vs the straight axle will not bow but will just sink in back.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
MattKelley02GT said:
I thought IRS was a lot more wanted and desirable though. I know it helps at the track, but why else would you want it if its really not that wanted?
It isn't more wanted. Thats why the 07 Cobra is going to have a straight axle. Thats also why a lot of 03-04 Cobra owners with high horsepower numbers have switched to a straight axle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.