Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 GT with 155xxx miles. I know I need to be changing the oil every 3000 miles on the dot, but this month I haven't had as much income as normal due to school starting. I went 4000 miles between my last oil change, only 1000 after what it should have been. I burned 2 quarts of oil in that 4k miles. I'm not sure what causes burning of oil exactly, but any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Dont it burn threw the seals in older cars? If you are running a 5w20 switch to 5w30 HM oil. Its a little thicker so it will help slow down the burning. Stick with 3k changes as your doing and keep an eye on it. I check mine once a week for piece of mind. 3k changes with castrol GTX 56k uses no oil

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I take it to a locally owned shop to get my oil changed. They usually put in 5W-30 because that is what my car calls for. This time, however, due to the oil burn age, they put in 10W-30. From now on, I will start using 5W-30 HM oil. I guess it's worth the extra $10.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
You can run 10/30 if you want, it won't hurt anything. If you live somewhere that it's brutally cold then 5/30 would be better though.

Anyhoo, oil consumption is a symptom of internal engine wear, typically piston rings. Unless of course it's leaking out. Simple way to check is to observe crankcase vacuum; with the engine running, take the oil fill cap off and place a $1 bill or something similar over the hole. There should be a light amount of suction, or vacuum and the bill will stay in place. If it tries to blow it up away from the hole, that is indicative of worn compression rings on the pistons, thus allowing oil in to get burned with the a/f mixture. If the second option applies to you, continue the diagnosis by following up with a compression test at all cylinders.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Pistons rings, bad gaskets, head gasket, valve seal, valve guide... there are a number of things that can cause burning oil. Are you certain it is burning and not leaking? In either case it didn't come from running it 1000miles past an oil change, you should do a compression and leakdown test to get an idea of the source of the problem.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. Next time I'm home and have some free time I will do those things. I just hate that the only probable causes will be a pain to fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts