Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well the local speed shop said it would take 6-10 hours to put headers on a 99-04 GT/Cobra b/c they have to drop the front suspension....are they full of **** or on the level? and how hard would it be to do it myself? :?:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well, I dont really know about all this dropping the front suspension crap. If you read the instructions they dons say anything about that. The guys that did mine did it in about 4 hours and all he said you have to do was the same as what the instructions said. Unbolt the motor mounts and like 2 bolts from the k member maybe then raise the motor a little bit. But nothing about 6-10 hours and dropping the suspension. The must be mild to moderately retarded. I've read about plenty of people doing the install in their own driveway. I've even read where they installed long tubes in the driveway. But you better be able to get the car WAY up in the air to get them in there. Its apparently a biotch

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i may just do it myself if i can find an online guide the one on here is just for a FOX :/

i had a feeling it wasn't rain :rolleyes:

·
Registered
162 Posts
ItsaV6iswear! said:
i may just do it myself if i can find an online guide the one on here is just for a FOX :/

i had a feeling it wasn't rain :rolleyes:
LOl it felt a little warm and smelled like piss oddly enuff lmao

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i knew someone had heard that one :tongue

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
The way they are wanting to do it isn't entirely unreasonable but it will take a little more time to do it that way. It will make bolting up the headers a LOT easier but they are making a bunch of extra work for themselves by having to drop everything. Did you ask this shop if they had done a header install on a 4.6 before? If they have done this a couple of times, they may have learned the hard way that this is the easiest way for them to do it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
at the time i asked them they had done one on a 4.6 cobra recently but that's the only one i know of them doing

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Yeah they're the level. Some places drop the suspension, some places unbolt the K member, others just loosen the motor mounts. It all depends on how that shop has seen it done and how they've had the most success doing the work. It's definitely NOT a job I would want to try with anything less than 2 feet of clearance under the car, espeically if you're doing long tubes. There's just no room between the exhaust side of the heads and the shock towers to get tools in there unless you shift the engine one direction or the other.

·
Registered
98 Posts
i tried putting bbk shorties on my gt. i unbolted the motor mounts but i think lowering the k member would have been easier. well anyway i spent about 16 hours on my back, but i got them on.( not knowing that bbk shorty headers are **** and now have to get new headers and do it all over again!!)

but one if the biggest pains is getting some of the stock manifold studs out.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yeah that $hit sux pretty hardcore dude

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
green 01 said:
i tried putting bbk shorties on my gt. i unbolted the motor mounts but i think lowering the k member would have been easier. well anyway i spent about 16 hours on my back, but i got them on.( not knowing that bbk shorty headers are **** and now have to get new headers and do it all over again!!)

but one if the biggest pains is getting some of the stock manifold studs out.
I keep trying to tell people that BBK makes crap. You'll make more power with Bassani or Hooker.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.