Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this past weekend, I was driving home and my timing chain jumped teeth when I shifted down to 4th gear, the car just died and hasnt started since. My mechanic said that when it jumped teeth, it bent my valves and that I have to rebuild my engine or by a new/used one..the car is a 1999 Mustang GT with a 4.6L 2V V8 engine. I love the car and I would like to rebuild it or drop a new engine in it. But funds are limited to about $700. So my questions are:

If I rebuild it, is it just the top end that I am rebuilding? and how much mite that be? I know ill need my heads done if the valves are bent.

If I buy a used one from a salvage yard, what other ford vehicles can I get the same 4.6l from? The f150 and Crown Vic are 4.6ls but the intake is a hell of alot different than my mustangs..can i use my old intake system?

And if I do pull an engine from a different vehicle like (F-150, Crown Vic ect.) will the motor mount rite in the Mustang? Idk if the mounts would be different for a truck or the crown vic..I dont wana pull an engine from a different vehicle and it not bolt up to my Mustangs setup..

If there is anything I left out or forgot to mention, please tell me!
Ive called every salvage yard within 500 mile range..litterally everywhere and nobody has a 4.6l 2V Mustang engine worth buying. Meaning I will probably end up rebuilding it, unless there is another vehicle that has an interchangeable engine..Im limited with funds, $700 is all I can really afford to do at the moment.

PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Years ago I dropped a valve and it cracked the piston. You couldn't see that until the piston was pulled and you could see it in the rind land.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so basically this could be much worse than it already is? I believe he only ran a compression test on it, he didnt take anything apart. H tested the valves too, and they had a bad leak, and only 1 cylinder on the drivers side had anything, the other 3 were dead.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you want a swap, check craigslist.org. I often see that people will part out their wrecked cars, including engines.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
A Romeo modular motor from a 2001+ Panther (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Town Car) will fit into your 2000 almost like it was made for it. This is called a Winsor to Romeo swap. Tons of ppl have done it (including myself).

Search for Windsor to Romeo swap. I have made several recent post regarding what the swap takes.

Note, there is slightly more work when using a Panther Romeo PI motor, but it's not difficult. As an added bonus, likely you will find more Panther motors and they will be cheaper.

Try car-part.com to search salvage yards in your area. I'm sure there are tons of Crown Vic/Grand Marquis to use as possible donors. Except for Police cars, likely these motors would have lived easier lives than a Mustang motor.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
You won't get your engine rebuilt for $700 with all the machine work, especially since there will 99% be damage to the cylinder head, at least the valve guides on the cylinders that made contact.

wmburns idea is probably the cheapest PI engine you're going to find.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts