Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i've had countless issues with my 01 v6 within the past year- cracked water pump, cracked oil pan, bad fuel injectors, fuel pump... But recently i threw in a 65mm BBK performance throttle body along with a cheap cold air intake. Every time i put it into drive though, it takes no less than 30 seconds to even register and even propel the car, while the throttle valve is completely open (In park and neutral it revs totally fine.) I've been been told by some it may need a tune, but by others that it doesn't and its just the throttle position sensor or MAF. I even went to a Ford dealer and was told a tune wouldn't help, but rather it was the TPS or MAF. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
TPS or MAF would be my first guess. Did the Dealer run a diagnostic and come up with a code? Did they offer to fix the problem? Don't autozone or advance auto parts run diagnostics for free. If they come up with the same diagnosis as the dealer, that's a good starting point for you.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
The throttle position sensor might not be bad. It might just be “clocked” in the wrong position to where it changed the voltage. Google how to test the TPS. You’ll need a volt meter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TPS or MAF would be my first guess. Did the Dealer run a diagnostic and come up with a code? Did they offer to fix the problem? Don't autozone or advance auto parts run diagnostics for free. If they come up with the same diagnosis as the dealer, that's a good starting point for you.
So no, dealer didn't run any sort of diagnostic on it because it hardly gets up to speed so i didn't bring the car out there, but they offered to. Although, it would be more expensive there, so i'll probably just take it to some guys i know at a Kwik Kar. Here's a readout of what my blue driver gave me when I plugged it in today after the engine light came on.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thing is, i've tested the TPS and it was giving me 5 volts. It may still be clocked in wrong as you say, but if i did that wrong when I put in a new one a couple months ago, then I'm not sure how to install it correctly when i get another new one.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts
Thing is, i've tested the TPS and it was giving me 5 volts. It may still be clocked in wrong as you say, but if i did that wrong when I put in a new one a couple months ago, then I'm not sure how to install it correctly when i get another new one.
Put the original throttle body on and see what happens.
I’m not very familiar with the 3.8. Does the TPS attach in the same location on the BBK as the oem?
FWIW it won’t be any slower with the OEM throttle body. Throttle bodies don’t really add any extra horsepower.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts