Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. First I would like to say I'm new here and I appreciate any help in advance. So the other day I bought a 99 v6 automatic for the low price of $600. The car is in good condition other than some faded paint on the hood. I know the family i bought the car from and they just wanted it gone because they just bought a 11' v6. I told them I would take it if the price was right (it was very right :grin: ) So I got the title and drove it 5 minutes down the road to my house. I got about halfway home before i was begging to get out of my rolling massage chair. I got home and popped the hood and everything seemed okay (except for the fact that my car is violently shaking). I started searching online at this point and found a basic list of things to check. The motor mounts seem fine...Im pretty sure transmission mounts are fine because I helped install a brand new automatic tranny a few months ago (mounts included)...So this left me with the harmonic balancer. There is a slight wobble present. Can someone confirm that this is probably the source of my trouble? If it is, could someone post a link to a good replacement? And my final question is would it be okay to limp it on a 10 minute drive to my uncle's garage? I'm hoping that a replacement will sort things out...or that i can at least sell/part out and make my $$$ back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If more info is needed on anything just ask. If anyone wants to see the decent stang I got for a steal I'll upload some pictures. :smile:

·
Super Moderator
40,094 Posts
Welcome to the site!! Does sound like a harmonic balancer issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. Is this a pretty hard repair? I've never changed one before. If it's serious I'll just leave her in the hands of my preferred doctor. I don't really know much about cars yet so I'm learning as I go.

·
Registered
263 Posts
the harmonic balancer sounds like the issue. That year may have an external balance motor, like my 2000 v6. This means that the harmonic balancer and the flywheel are weighted for engine balance. There is also a balance shaft at the top of the block, above the camshaft that is gear driven from the camshaft. I would ask if the harmonic balancer has ever been replaced, or if the timing chain has ever been replaced. Finally, may be in the driveshaft (like mine). The faster I go, the more my car vibrates.

Does the car vibrate when you rev the engine in park? If so, I would look at harmonic balancer. If not, I would look at drive shaft and u-joints.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car vibrates pretty much the same from the time I start it until i turn it off. No matter how high the RPM's go it doesn't really smooth out. The vibrations pretty much stay the same and they don't stop. You can look in the window and see the seats shaking, if you look close the hood shakes a little bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts