Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a decent way to tell if the engine has received the recall work done to it (headers, exhaust, etc) that would return it to its advertised 320 hp?

Ford has a recall check feature (http://www.ford.com/en/vehicles/owners/recalls/default.htm) that allows you to plug in a VIN and it will scan for any additional recall work that it needs done, and the Cobra that I am looking at returns 'no recalls listed'.

The description reads :
"Be advised that this system tracks safety and emission recalls for which vehicles are subject to repair in the United States. For more information on Ford Motor Company recalls or concerns you may be having with your vehicle, please contact your dealership directly."

I dont know if the engine work classifies as emissions or not.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

·
Banned
918 Posts
Yes. Call SVT on the issue and give them your vin#. There is also either a blue, black, or green dot on the upper intake which verifies what kind of intake work was done. Also there will be a PCM reflash sticker under the hood verifying this too. Plus if that was done, the less restrictive catback was put on.

BTW that TSB, not a recall is ccommonly referred to as the "fix" and is no longer free as it is out of date.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the info. Just got my 99 Cobra on ebay. So, if there's no dot on the intake, is it likely that no work was done? I haven't checked if mine has a dot or not, but I'll check tomorrow.
Also, I'm pretty new at chat talk. I know BTW= by the way. What is TSB?
And for that matter, PCM reflash sticker?:dunce:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TSB is something like Techical Service Bullitin (or something similar). As for the PCM reflash sticker, it will be a label that is applied either to the bottom of the hood or somewhere visible around the engine grouped with the other information labels.

I havent seen one before, but it seems like the logical place to stick it. Dont quote me on that, because mechanics are wiley and do strange things...

And to BlackFang, would you be able to estimate the cost to have the 'fix' performed or would it just be a better idea to replace the components with aftermarket ones?

I have read in various places the extent of this 'problem' and it ranges from horsepower being as low as 260, to some places which just report it as being a straight 305 for all Cobras that are affected. I would like to debuff this 'myth' and learn the truth to this beast...

·
Banned
918 Posts
I do not know. Call Ford and ask them. You could find a post fix intake and just have them reflash the pcm.

·
Registered
83 Posts
OK. I finally looked in my engine compartment, and I found two dots- one black and one green. So what does this mean?

By the way, the marks are just plain permanent marker that someone put on there. I wasn't expecting it to just be marker. Does this mean the person I bought it from just "marked" it, or would the Ford dealership have used markers?

·
Registered
2 Posts
99 Cobra Recall

I had the work done on my cobra back in 2000. If I remember correctly, the green dot meant that Ford used the "acid drip" method on your manifold and either blue or black meant Ford used the "extrude honed" method. I do know that the vast majority of "fixes" by Ford was with the acid drip method. Only a few hundred cobras were lucky to get the extrude honed fix. Yes, the dealership should have put the PCM sticker with the fix on your computer. Mine is located in the right hand corner next to my radiator. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
918 Posts
Yup quaso is correct.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
funny, I just came in here to post this kind of thread - also looking at 2 99 Cobras on EBay, thanks for the help. Was the problem only an issue for 1999, not 2000 & newer?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Everything I've read says it was only the 1999 Cobra that was lacking the horsepower advertised. But I would say that the overwhelming majority of them were fixed as soon as Ford made the fix available. Who wouldn't have their 30 plus grand car upped in horsepower for free? I'd ask the sellers of cars you're looking at just to make sure...
BTW, Got mine for $15099. 26,102 original miles.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there any difference between the 99 and 01 cobras (other than the problems that were solved from the 99)?

They are both advertised at 320 hp, and I'm wondering if their 0-60 times are the same or not.

Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Many thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 99 cobra with the recall work done and added a BBK X-PIPE ,40 flowmasters and a K&N airfilter , now pushing 318hps. buy the 99 and with a little work and about $400 you will get your 320hps

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Yes, the dealership should have put the PCM sticker with the fix on your computer. Mine is located in the right hand corner next to my radiator. Hope this helps.
its not required to stick a pcm reflash sticker on vehicles serviced in north america.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.