Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1999 cobra with 75000 miles on it, I was going to replace all the belts, hoses, flush the radiator, etc.

When do you guys replce things like timing chains? How big of job is it to do for a person fairly mechanically inclined? Or should it be left for a pro?

Thanks

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
This thread should be in the Cobra area: you don't replace the chains,a 75000 mile cobra is a baby, mine has over 150,000 on it and I've never heard of replacing the chain...a good tune up is about all it may need unless someone has dogged it

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The only time you'd need to replace the chains is if you had some tensioner failure, when I built my Forged Motor I reused the stock chains that had 59K on them! I also re-used the clutch and pressure plate. The most important things to do is change the fuel filter,plugs (NGK TR-5 gapped to .048, I close em a bit, use VERY Lite coating of anti seize and leave the bottom 2 threads on the plug dry),flush the coolant(changing hoses not really needed unless their very hard and expanded) run a 60-40 Distilled H20,coolant mix with water wetter! Get the stock shifter outta there too and DON'T use Fram oil Filter, OK That's all!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great

Thanks for the info guys, that is what I really wanted to hear, I'll start on tuneup stuff as soon as I get acclimated. Any suggestinos on a good repair manual for a 99 cobra?

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The Haynes & Chiltons is pretty weak cause it covers all Models, I'd check with SVT or Ford Motor Co. for actual shop manuals!
And when flushing coolant, make SURE you do the "Burping" of the system refill correctly or an air bubble trapped could cause overheating!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.