Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the military and I’ve been overseas for the last 5 years. My car was in storage for the past 5 years at government expense. I have a 98 Mustang GT that had 85k miles on it. Right before I shipped it I installed the new intake manifold because I had that sh*tty all plastic one and it cracked. So at this storage facility they were supposed to start my car and move it and check it over fluids and such once a month. Well when my car arrived it had all kinds of problems. I opened the hood and there was this white residue film all over my engine. Even on my brand-new intake manifold that was shiny black before I shipped it. So I drove it straight to ford and had them do a chk of the entire car. Well on the ride there it felt really bad. But it still had power. Then I noticed white smoke coming out of my right exhaust, and my speedometer was not working. So ford checked it out and said I had breaches on number 1 and 2 cylinders and low compression in 3 and 4. They quoted me roughly 4200 to change out both head gaskets. Failed to mention I’m in Hawaii now so everything is super expensive and they charge 138 dollars a hour for labor. Well then they told me that a new crate motor for the 98 would cost me the same minus labor. Now I did file a claim with the storage company but I have a feeling they are going to screw me over because if I figured it out right my car is only worth 6500 bluebook. I do not want to get rid of this car I still want to keep it.
I want to put a new engine in it and I have some friends here that said they would help me... screw that 138 hr labor rate lol .

So I’ve read on a few of the different threads about putting in a 99 4.6 pi in a 98 Gt. I’m wondering if there is any step by step process out there for someone who's never done it before. or things I should buy beforehand. Like things like I’ve read something about the 98 used a 6 bolt flywheel and the 99 used an 8 bolt. Is it easy to change the flywheel from 6 to 8 I’m guessing this is on the transmission? Please forgive me I’m still learning.... I’ve read that I need to swap out the timing chain cover from my old 98 motor to the 99 so I can attach my cop's. Also does a long block crate engine come with the intake manifold or do I just take everything that’s on top of my 98 and just attach it to the top of the 99 motor? Fuel rails, alternator, and all the accessory stuff like the Air conditioner, power steering, water pump, wiring harness, and injectors. And are the 98 valve covers compatible with the 99 so that the oil fill is on the right side for a 98 with a return fuel system?
Also do I need a stronger fuel pump since ill have higher HP? I have a bassani exhaust with high flow cats. Please any help would be much appreciated. Just really need to know everything that I will have to do so I don’t run into any surprises. Also my 98 computer will be fine right? I will just have to get a tuner for it right?

any help is much appreciated,please help

Thanks

Sam C

Attachments

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Easiest way:

Bolt the PI engine in, and hook everything up. Swap your coil system over to the new engine, don't worry about using the COP system, use the '98 ignition.

If you do it that way, it's a one day swap with no problems, and will start and run perfectly, and everything will swap over as long as you keep the dual coil pack system and the '98 wiring. Then you can get a tune to take advantage of the PI engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what about the 6 bolt flywheel and the 8 bolt flywheel thing i was reading about... because i intend on still using my 98 transmission.

So i just pull everything on top of my 98 off ie... everything attached to the intake manifold on top to include the intake its self and just put that right on top on the 99 pi engine.... the 99 pi engine doesnt require a different intake manifold? And i imagine since the car is almost 12 years old i should buy a new clutch since the engine and transmission will be out anyways so does that 6 bolt 8 bolt flywheel going to affect what clutch i get to replace the factory? was thinking about getting the ford racing one.

thanks for the help

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Use the plastic PI intake that's attached to the new engine, they are a lot different and a lot better than yours. But the throttle body, plenum, intake tube, etc. are all the same.

I reread your thread, and yes, if you want to keep your coil packs in the stock location, you'll have to swap timing covers, but that's a piece of cake.

As far as the flywheel, the 99-00 do have 8 bolt flywheels, but typically every engine I've gotten has had the flywheel on it. It not, you will have to buy one for the 8 bolt crank. If you get an 01-04 engine, they are 6 bolt, just like yours.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Im no expert on long term storage, but if the storage company did not run your engine once a month then I would try driving the car for a while and see if the engine starts to run better, If you are willing to change it out then you do not have to worry about anymore damage, sounds like a little bit of corrosion on your cyclinders or maybe carbon on your valves causing low compresson, this might clean itself up after a few hundred miles

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah the ran it once a month. Ford hooked it up to there tester and said i had breaches on my number 1 and 2. They said it would be difficult to tell if there was any corrosion or other damage without taking off the heads.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Ford is gonna tell you the most expensive way to go because they want their money, i'd have someone who knows a lot about mustangs check it out before you do anything

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
thanks for the help guys... only problem is that i just arrived on the island and i really dont know anyone else that has knowledge of mustangs....Im thinking about buying this engine
96-04 Ford Mustang GT 4.6 Crate Engine - 4.6L Motor : eBay Motors (item 250659223287 end time Aug-29-10 14:57:25 PDT)

i think its a 2001 since it has a 6 bolt flywheel
Found out its actually a 2004 engine, production over run engines brand spanking new. Telling me it will slide right in just have to change the fuel rails and the cop's with the timing chain cover and put a "T" fitting on the temp sensor so i will maintain my 2 sensor setup.

He mentioned that the later year cars used a bigger flywheel a 11 . If i buy the 98 Ford racing Clutch i should be fine right?

thanks

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Found out its actually a 2004 engine, production over run engines brand spanking new. Telling me it will slide right in just have to change the fuel rails and the cop's with the timing chain cover and put a "T" fitting on the temp sensor so i will maintain my 2 sensor setup.

He mentioned that the later year cars used a bigger flywheel a 11 . If i buy the 98 Ford racing Clutch i should be fine right?

thanks
That's mostly correct. Do not T the temp sensor, there's a spot on the PI intake that's flat, have it drilled and tapped to 3/8 NPT, and install the 2nd sensor there.

You can use your 10.5" flywheel and 98 clutch, or you can use the 11" clutch setup from the 2001 and up, it doesn't matter as long as you match it all up, either will work with your transmission.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.