Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 GT with 69,000 miles, recently, in order to avoid a collision, I swerved into a curb. Later in the day while shifting into third gear, my car fell on it's face, and would not respond. The check engine light came on very quickly. I had the car towed to a shop. It was there 6 days. They replaced the ECM, the fuel rail pressure sensor, and the IAC valve. They reloaded the SCT program onto the new ECM, and the car made 401 HP at the rear tires, on a Dyno Jet. 1600 dollars later, I pulled out, and... It stumbled and died again. The pcm codes are P0190; and P0193. These point to a Intermittent short or open, in the Fuel rail pressure sensor, which was replaced. The voltage at the connector is 4-6, normal. Is it possible, that the fuel pump, or a device controlling it, is at fault? It seems to have low pressure at the rail, during the stumbling periods. For a car that has always been reliable, I am afraid to drive it now, because of the towing charges. It is in the garage now, while I try to decide what to do. I don;t want to go to the dealer, pay a ton again, and have the problem resurface. Has anyone else experienced this anomoly? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Sounds like a problem somewhere in the wiring harness, try to get a schematic and inspect every connector, relay, fuse that has to do with fuel management. Include the wiring from the EEC.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Fuel pump wiring

I agree with gtraptor. In particular, I suspect the wiring at the fuel pump, or immediately down stream from there. If you hit hard enough, the fuel tank could have shifted enough to pull a connection loose or break one of the block connectors. If you eyeball the fuel tank, it will show around the bands whether or not its recently shifted around any - the tank under the bands if exposed will be cleaner and darker.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

tripleblack

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your ideas, guys. I will look at both areas, as suggested. I will then respond with a follow up, upon completion of the diagnosis.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I'm more suspect of the pressure regulator harness. It was recently replaced and that means human hands touched the harness. I'm thinking maybe a wire got broken or it didn't get reconnected completely when the replacement work was done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gentlemen, After another week at the Dealership, a conclusion has been reached. They say it is the fuel pump. I pick up the car tomorrow. We shall see...

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Fuel pump

I suspected as much.

How come I always get it right when there's no Lottery payoff involved?

tripleblack

cfwp81a said:
Gentlemen, After another week at the Dealership, a conclusion has been reached. They say it is the fuel pump. I pick up the car tomorrow. We shall see...

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, They replaced the pump... If you have ever installed a Vortech system, there are two little spacers that go between the top of the fuel line mount and the top of the pump, along with two longer screws. These two spacers and screws were not included in my kit, from Muscle Motors. I remember searching high and low for them. I installed the kit in October, and it has run fine, but the mechanic at the Ford dealership found that the line was being restricted, so he installed the washers, and it runs good. $2,200 later, almost three weeks without a car, and two little 5 cent washers fixes the problem. Make sure if you add something aftermarket, that ALL the parts are included in the kit. Thanks again guys, I just wanted this info to be online, for guys and gals in the future.

Regards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.