Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99' GT with only minor upgrades-Mac off/road x pipe and a Mac cold air induction... Also throw on a set of flowmaster mufflers. So its pretty much stock. What would be the best combo- head/cam/intake... And if you could list the names and brands of each one you recommend that would be great.
I have a friend who owns a 1997 Camaro Z28, he is pushing right around 300hp with his upgraded heads and racing cam he just put in, or so it feels like a 300 hp car. He pulls on me like crazy... I want to be able to be at least even or better with him becuase we go to the track all the time (1/4) Again please list the best hp gain combos- HEAD/CAM/INTAKE Oh and the crappy part of my GT is that it is an AUTO:sosad: But it a daily driver with a lot of stop and go traffic lights.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Before you start spending a bunch of cash on P&P heads and $600 cams with $200 springs, oh and don't forget the ultra expensive intakes, you need gears!. Put 4.10s in that thing and get a tuner to fix the speedo and improve performance. What kind of times are you guys running now? Also it would be as cheap to get a supercharger with a few extas than to rebuild the top end with high end parts. The 4.6 cars are expensive to mod at this point. I say get the gears and look into a stall, shift kit, J mod, ET streets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dollarbill - My best time is a 14.1 and change... Worst time was 14.6 and change... I run anywhere from a 14.1-14.3 consistently. My friends comaro, his best run is a 13.6... But most of the time he pulls around 13.7-13.9 1/4... I do live in NJ, so the track we go to is shut down for the season... But I want to get my GT up to speed come spring time! So you don't think I should go with a head/cam/intake upgrades? Is it possible that I could go with just a head and cam combo and leave out the intake for now? The 4.10's won't be to harsh on the tranny, as my car is a daily driver? Would 3.73 or 3.55's be better?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
SWIFT9985 said:
dollarbill - My best time is a 14.1 and change... Worst time was 14.6 and change... I run anywhere from a 14.1-14.3 consistently. My friends comaro, his best run is a 13.6... But most of the time he pulls around 13.7-13.9 1/4... I do live in NJ, so the track we go to is shut down for the season... But I want to get my GT up to speed come spring time! So you don't think I should go with a head/cam/intake upgrades? Is it possible that I could go with just a head and cam combo and leave out the intake for now? The 4.10's won't be to harsh on the tranny, as my car is a daily driver? Would 3.73 or 3.55's be better?

If you really want to keep up with your buddy, you are going to be better off using a supercharger, turbocharger, or nitrous. He has a huge displacement advantage over you but you can equalize things by using a power adder. Ported intake, ported heads, and a cam will make power but you will still have much less power than him because his engine is so much bigger.

Also, if your friend is only running a 13.6 with the mods he has, he is a real ****** driver. He's also making way more than 300 hp with those mods.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.