Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, over fall break I tried to start my car and noticed a big issue with it... When I tried to start it, it started making weird noises so I looked under the hood and noticed the serpentine belt was nearly falling off.

Anyways, I'm on my way home from college for thanksgiving break and I have already at home a new belt and belt tensioner (the old one I noticed had no springing action in it). My Haynes manual doesn't have much info about the belt tensioner... So I needed to ask you guys- is the tensioner on there with clockwise or counterclockwise threads? Also- what tool do I use to remove the tensioner assembly? When I looked at it the hole in the middle of the assembly looked square... Is there a bolt to get at?

Thanks for all your help! I am hoping to fix my pony tomorrow so I can have a car to drive again!
P.s happy thanksgiving!

Tom

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
this question keeps getting asked but i never remember the answer.. counter clockwise or clockwise.. pick one and try it the square hole is to put the ratchet or breaker bar in to remove tension from the belt for installation and removal

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so for anyone wondering... to remove the ACTUAL belt tensioner unit... it is regular threaded (so lefty lucy)... use a large breaker bar with a T55 socket on the end of it... hold constant tension and PULL!!! do not use jerk force or you will risk stripping the bolt!

once i got the old tensioner off, i put some grease lube on the bolt, aligned the new tensioner in the two alignment slots and tightened it up! to relieve tension on the tensioner once i needed to put the belt on... i took a 15mm socket on a large breaker bar, pulled it counter clockwise and the tensioner came right up... (note: there was no square hole to put a socket end into.)... slide the new belt onto the tensioner... relieve tension... inspect and you're good to go!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts