Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll give a quick history so that everyone is able to associate themselves with my story.

I'm stationed in Fort Polk, Louisiana. Being as though I am active duty military, it is difficult to be able to go home being as though my Unit enjoys to train hard. Well, needless to say back in October (the 16th to be exact) I purchased myself a 1990 Mustang GT. Quite the find, if you ask me. Anyways, I have been unable to drive since then, until now.

This past Sunday I came home on emergency leave because my Grandmother had passed away on Thanksgiving. It was the first time that I was ever able to see my car in person. Monday, I ran around and got her registered and insured so that she became street-legal. Who wouldn't want to go driving?

Now, I'm driving down Route 1 in New Jersey. I pass an on-ramp in which one of those HemiCharged 3.7 L Dodge Ram 1500s is coming off of. Funny thing is, I'm in the "fast lane", cruising at around 60 MPH. I had no intention of going fast. But, I check my passenger side mirror and see this Dodge flooring it and gaining on me fast. I drop her into fourth and speed off, the Dodge stopped chasing. That's not the story.

The story begins when I begin to hear a terrible scraping noise beneath my vehicle. I turn down the radio and slow her down. You'd know it if you heard it. I pull into a nearby gas station and exit my vehicle. I discover that the Muffler had broken off on the pipe between the muffler and the connection point to the rest of the exhaust. She had just been completed rusted through. I had no tools with me, but I wasn't about to drive her back like that. I get under the vehicle, on the cold, wet ground, and just begin ripping at the rubber piece that keeps the exhaust connected to the frame.

About 45 minutes, three stripped knuckles, and four burn marks later: the exhaust comes off.

And as I'm driving home, I'm not sad, I'm not angry. I'm happy. Happy? Is this guy insane? No! I realized that this was just the start of a beautiful relationship between me and my 'Stang.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
aww isnt that precious. no i hear ya man, i just got my stang in october as well, and the first thing i replaced was the alternator, and i actually ENJOYED myself. i cant wait to do more work on her. but i bet that guy in the hemi was a mechanic with lots of tools who was gonna tell you about your problem HAHA.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Yep. Every time I break something I look at it as an opportunity. . . . and I break a LOT of stuff!! lol

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
haha yes, or every time something needs replaced, everything in the way gets upgraded in the process... i have a leaky valve cover, so im replacing them with pretty ones, and i figure since the plenum is in the way, i might as well upgrade my intake manifolds.... and what the heck, throttle body...

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Yup, you can't be afraid of crawling under a hot car in the rain.
You should always keep a coathanger in the car, they make great bandaids, almost better than duct tape. And when people ask: "Why do you have a coat hanger in your car, dirtbag?" I say: (With a straight face-no less) "It's for in case I get locked out, fool!":kooky:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
i dont think he meant IN the car with the coat hanger, because then its no good when you get locked out, cause its IN the car. i keep one twisted up on the frame of my oldsmobile... its always there if i lock my self out... again...
might put one on the stang too, but only the finest coat hanger i can find...

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ha, Ha! That is absolutely classic! I think I'll do that. Find somewhere on the frame to stick a coat hanger or something. That would be great.

Well, there is good news in all this, it goes along with what Systronic is saying. Since one of my exhaust mufflers broke off.... I just ordered two news ones, should be here by either tomorrow or Friday... can't wait! :laughlitt

·
0 Posts
systronic said:
i dont think he meant IN the car with the coat hanger, because then its no good when you get locked out, cause its IN the car.
I think that was the point.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Actually, I've got a spare Ford passenger door window, and the one on my car happens to be a non-Ford replacement... I've always managed to procure a hanger (from outside the car, of course) the two times I've been locked out of this car.
Did you get a whole catback system, Buck?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, sir. I have bought myself a set of MAC Brand CatBack Mufflers w/ Dumps.

It was essentially the same thing that I was running before the muffler busted off, except I believe that the set I had before was FlowMaster's brand.

In any case, I installed them today and they certainly hum a lot better than my old ones did. Don't know if there was a HP increase, though.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I understand completly about teh relationship between a man and his car. I have had several on the side of the road repairs before. The night I crashed her I had to be pulled away from the car by my friends because I was trying to gather all the items that were slung out or broken off and put them in the car because at first I swore that she could be fixed. I am giving her a transplant now as we speak and hopefully she will live again.

Drew

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
[QUOTE='95.0 stang]This makes me wonder. How many people here have named their cars?[/QUOTE]Nothing you can say on here...:laughlitt

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
I didnt name my car, we have an understood relationship, she tells me harder and I give her more gas!

Sorry to hear about your muffler. I had a similiar situation happen with my 88' vert. The right muffler broke completely off the weld. I had to yank it off and drive straight to a muffler shop. It was very loud any time you gave it gas.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.