Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was evacuating hurricane Rita and stuck in that traffic jam from hell you all saw on TV. After about 3 hours of stop and go traffic with my A/C on, my A/C suddenly started blowing hot air with a burning smell and my coolant temp shot up to near red in about 10-15 seconds. I cut of the A/C and flicked on the heater and the smell stopped and the temp went back to normal. I tried the A/C again later (it was 100 degrees and I had a dog in the car) and it happened again. Once I got out of the traffic, the A/C seemed to work fine.
Any idea what would cause this? It's mostly stock 99 Cobra if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Sounds like the cooling fan(s) in not comming on when it should.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
that would explain your ac turning hot, because that is a saftey feature. if the engine gets hot enough the ac cuts out. check out your cooling fans like previouslly stated

·
Registered
89 Posts
That is really weird. I would try what was stated in the previous two posts. But you might want to look at it when the engine is hot or at normal running temperature because then you would be able to see if the fan is kicking on or off when you know it should.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.