Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there yall. My AC was working fine then few days ago I turned it to Max AC and it took a lil while for the AC clutch to engage. Then got worst and I would switch off and max to start AC clutch. Now the AC clutch not engaging at all..

Checked low pressure switch
added R134a

By the way I see that my AC compressor has two plugs on on top and one on bottom. What do they do?

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
The AC system has two sensors. High pressure and low pressure cycle switch.

Since your post does not state the MY, I am going to surmise that one wire is the clutch power and the other is the field coil ground.

If jumping the low pressure switch doesn't engage the clutch, confirm that the AC clutch is still good.

Next, consider that it could be the CCRM or the mode switch in the passenger mode control switch.

Do you want to narrow it down?

OBTW; what model year are we dealing with? Regardless, check all of the fuses in the engine bay and driver's kick panel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a 2001 GT
I checked Low pressure switch
checked fuses
changed AC compressor plug (pig tail)
Clutch does not engage... How would I jump the ac compressor so I can check the freon level? Help please

BTW wheres the CCRM or the mode switch in the passenger mode control switch?

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
BTW wheres the CCRM or the mode switch in the passenger mode control switch?
CCRM is located in the right hand wheel well. Remove the right front tire and fender liner to access. Yes it is a PIA to get to.

The mode control switch is in the center console. It's the switch you turn to select AC, Heat, Vent, or Off.
Its a 2001 GT
I checked Low pressure switch
checked fuses
changed AC compressor plug (pig tail)
Clutch does not engage... How would I jump the ac compressor so I can check the freon level? Help please
For a properly running system that is only low on Freon, simply jumping the low pressure switch should force the compressor to run.

Assuming that jumping the low pressure switch does not start the compressor, some tests will help. Test for +12 volts at the low pressure switch. Post.

Disconnect the AC clutch switch. Measure the resistance through the coil to ground. Post. Or inject +12 volts and listen for the clutch to engage.

These tests will determine the next direction.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you jump AC clutch switch. Im not savy with this stuff. Do I connect a wire with a fuse to positive on plug to the positive on the cars battery? Do I need ground too or?

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
A jumper wire. A scrap piece of wire to provide a temporary connection point.

If the AC clutch has one wire in the connector, then it is already internally grounded. So only one jumper from the battery positive is needed.

If the AC clutch connector has two wires, then to jump it will require +12 and -12 volts. Yes you will need two jumper wires.

Be careful about accidently grounding the jumper wire.

Or safer to measure the resistance. No chance of shorting anything out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know this is a dumb question but do i put ground to any metal on car? ... Should i use fuse for the jumper wire? Thanks for your help btw

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Working with un-insulated wires is perhaps too dangerous for you. I am concerned that you have enough understanding of electrical systems and may hurt yourself or damage your car.

Consider taking it to a professional.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did u ever get this problem fixed.? I have same issue with my 01 GT. I didn't use my ac for several months, turned it on one day and it worked for an hour. I turned my car off and when I went to use it again I get nothing but hot air. Was it the CCRM.? I had my compressor and clutch tested and they both work...!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Mine did the same thing and I have narrowed it down to the CCRM or the connector to the CCRM. If I push on the connector the compressor engages and works for a while. I took the connector off and cleaned it with electronics cleaner (even though it looked clean) and reconnected it. Ran great for a while but started doing the same thing soon.
Has anybody had any experience with the CCRM acting like this, the connector and wires look in great shape. I will test the voltage at the connector tonight just to see.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts