Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to remove the A/C compressor from my 2012 GT, but the supercharger uses the A/C belt to operate
There are no A/C delete kits available for 11-14's, because if you don't have a supercharger, you don't need a delete kit
Has anyone successfully eliminated A/C from a 11-14's GT with a supercharger?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xvEUqIED30

·
Registered
488 Posts
Unless you're building a full tilt track car, I'd keep the A/C. If you keep it turned-off, the parasitic drag is minimal. Removing it would probably create a cascade of items you'd have to twiddle due to the interconnected nature of the various computers/sensors.

If you're building a track-only car, you'll be tossing most of the electronics anyway. I suggest installing the engine accessories you need, measure with a piece of string and get the appropriately sized belt.

·
Registered
101 Posts
And if you are doing it for weight, I read somewhere a while ago that its not that heavy either... I've never read of someone doing it in a weekend car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my car weights 3,550lbs now and I am trying to get to 3,500lbs, but all has to come off the front end (54% of the total gross weight). The battery is in the trunk, it's got lightweight radiator support, driveshaft, wheels, BMR tubular k-member and adjustable LCA's
If not A/C, what else would you recommend to take out to lose 50lbs in the front? I can't get rid of the sway bars since this is a road course track car

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually took the time to find the weight of each component in the A/C system. Here is the list (38lbs!)

HVAC LBS TOTAL: COMPRESSOR: 14.30 38.35 lbs COMPRESSOR RELIEF VALVE: 0.01 COMPRESSOR VALVE CAP 0.10 COMPRESSOR CLUTCH PULLEY 5.44 COMPRESSOR LOCATING PIN 0.00 COMPRESSOR TO CONDENSER TUBE 0.75 ACCUMULADOR W/HOSE ASSEMBLY 2.60 A/C EXPANSION VALVE CORE 0.10 A/C CONTROL VALVE 0.50 ACCUMULATOR TUBE ASSEMBLY 0.64 A/C SYSTEM ORING & GASKET KIT 0.05 A/C HOSE CLIP 0.00 REFRIGERANT ORING 0.01 CONDENSER 8.00 CONDENSER CORE SEAL 0.00 BLOWER MOTOR CONTROL UNIT 0.35 HVAC BLOWER MOTOR 3.63 EVAPORATOR CASE W/HARNESS 0.00 EVAPORATOR CORE CASE 0.00 EVAPORATOR CORE SEAL 0.00 DRYER TO EVAPORATOR TUBE 1.50 AMBIENT AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR 0.35 TEMPERATURE SENSOR 0.02 HVAC PLENUM CHAMBER 0.00

·
Registered
101 Posts
light weight batterys are fairly cheap and like 5lbs
fog's
engine cover
Bmr radiator support
Washer fluid
Firewall material
Coilovers
A-arms but those are real pricey
Seats/rear seat delete (not exactly front tho)
cat del
headers cut weight too

But if you dont use ac, yeah just rip it out. Its ur car bud. I rarely use mine either but I do when the lady is in the car on hot days. Otherwise its off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish I could remove the A/C, but the supercharger runs on the A/C belt. Everyone says that if I try to replace the A/C belt with a shorter belt I run the risk of not getting the belt tension just right for the Roush supercharger and damage the whole thing
The only I have not done yet to reduce front weight, out of all things in the list above, is the hood swap
I hear it is not worth the money
What exactly did you have in mind?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Not worth the money, I have a tiger racing and its very light but it costs a small fortune. Mine setup the way it is was 3k. Also it a fair weather only setup. Not for DD's

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The mustang is a track only car, but 3k is too much for what you get
I heard of coil over setup
Any thoughts?
It is worth 20lbs off the front end

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just swapped my front seats for new Sparco seats, carbon fiber composite, boom! 51lbs off the front axle
Stock driver power seat: 60.8lbs
Stock passenger seat: 49.6lbs
Total weight now is 3,510lbs and 600 RWHP
I am looking for a coil over set up, aluminum or carbon that help get to my goal of 3,500lbs (51/49 ratio)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts