Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I purchased a '90 Fox about a month ago, the A/C does not blow cold. The clutch will spin for a few seconds and stop. I'm not entirely sure where to go from there, and i believe the car has r-12 refrigerant. If anyone can shed light on my predicament it'd be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Need to put some manifold gauges on the system to see what the pressures are. Generally clutch cycling (coming on and off) is a sign of low refrigerant. I've also had faulty connectors to the compressor and on the compressor give me the same type problem so I'd check those for sure.

·
Registered
1991 Ford Mustang LX
2,224 Posts
If it is low on freon,youll have to pay a shop to recharge it because youve gotta have a license to buy it now,unless youve got a friend with a can or two.
You can also take a different route too by converting it from R12 to R134.Autozone & other parts stores sell the kits for $50-$60.Any remaining
R12, still in your system now,has to be evacuated either by you or a shop.Mine was almost completely empty already when I converted,so I just installed the new ports onto my high & low side service ports,added 1 can of refrigerant oil + 3 cans of R134 then I was good to go.
If your system is low on freon & the compressor is hesitant to pull the freon in,disconnect the wiring harness at the clutch cycling switch,temporarily insert a jumper wire between the two harness terminals & that'll cause the compressor to engage so it'll draw the freon into the system.I usually cycle the compressor on & back off again (by removing one end of the jumper wire from the harness terminal) in 30 second increments so it doesnt burn the compressor up,by running it when its almost completely empty of freon.It shouldn't take longer than a few minutes for the compressor to draw in enough freon to allow it to cycle on its own.After youve manually cycled the compressor for 5 minutes, reconnect the wiring harness to the clutch cycling switch to see if the compressor will cycle on its own now.If it does,continue adding freon to the system until the gauge shows its in the green zone, but let the compressor cycle on its own,dont use the jumper wire anymore.I believe it took 1 can of refrigerant oil & 2.5-3 cans of R-134,to fill the system up on my 91 lx when I converted it years ago.Ive got 3 other vehicles I converted & theyre still cooling just fine too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank both of your for your information, I really appreciate it! I will try seeing if a shop around my area can recharge the r-12, but if not I'm going to try the conversion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts