Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I turned on my A/c this weekend for the first time in a week or so...and it SMELLED HORRIBLE!!! I think I've got a case of Mildew in the system somewhere - it smelled like dirty sweaty socks, and will choke you. This summer when I was running it all the time, it was fine!

I put a call in to the dealer, they're checking for info. The guy said that they'd had that problem with some of the Expeditions, but hadn't heard of it in the Mustangs.

Anybody else have this problem????

This sucks. er, blows.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
ultraclyde said:
I turned on my A/c this weekend for the first time in a week or so...and it SMELLED HORRIBLE!!! I think I've got a case of Mildew in the system somewhere - it smelled like dirty sweaty socks, and will choke you. This summer when I was running it all the time, it was fine!

I put a call in to the dealer, they're checking for info. The guy said that they'd had that problem with some of the Expeditions, but hadn't heard of it in the Mustangs.

Anybody else have this problem????

This sucks. er, blows.
Fords have always been notorious for water in the A/C. Is there a TSB on this?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The guy at the service department said (yesterday) that his computer was down so he couldn't check the Ford system for TSBs. He is supposed to call me when it's up, but I haven't heard from him today. The problem with the Expeditions he mentioned was that when the A/C was run on a low setting, water collected around the exchanger in the vent system. If the system was then not run for several days, mold developed. The treatment was to pull the exchanger and spray it with a mold killer/preventer. If that didn't fix it, they installed a mini fan that came on 45 min after vehicle shutdown and blew air across the exchanger to dry it off (?!?!?!?!):eyebulge:

I'll have to check on the drain. Sounds like a good possibility. I seem to recall that the water drip is kind of back center, maybe. I doused the outside air intake with Lysol, and that seemed to help a little.

Still a little pissed, though. I much prefer leather smell to Moldy smell!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
897 Posts
ultraclyde said:
The guy at the service department said (yesterday) that his computer was down so he couldn't check the Ford system for TSBs. He is supposed to call me when it's up, but I haven't heard from him today. The problem with the Expeditions he mentioned was that when the A/C was run on a low setting, water collected around the exchanger in the vent system. If the system was then not run for several days, mold developed. The treatment was to pull the exchanger and spray it with a mold killer/preventer. If that didn't fix it, they installed a mini fan that came on 45 min after vehicle shutdown and blew air across the exchanger to dry it off (?!?!?!?!):eyebulge:

I'll have to check on the drain. Sounds like a good possibility. I seem to recall that the water drip is kind of back center, maybe. I doused the outside air intake with Lysol, and that seemed to help a little.

Still a little pissed, though. I much prefer leather smell to Moldy smell!:rolleyes:
My friend is a mechanic at ford and he had installed a timer in his windstar to turn the cars own heating/cooling fan on to dry off the evaporator. The timer was a ford part # I'll ask him to see if he can find it.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Still no word from the dealership. anybody know where the drain is? I was under the car changing the oil and couldn't find it. Tried to look for the drips, but it wasn't dripping - which could be the root of my problem...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts