Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still fairly new in the Mustang circles. I must say compared to the imports I have encountered the domestic attitudes are a lot classier.

Case in point #1.

Last night I was coming home with the wife. Down a stretch of 121 in Collin County (for those of you in the N. Texas area) it is wide open, 3 lanes and about 2 miles between stop lights. No traffic at 6pm. A gal in a late model Celica GT is out to have some fun. She was weaving in and out of cars. I wasn't gonna go there, but worked my way up to her till we get to a light that just turns green. Half throttle I gain on her and pass. No trouble at all getting 10 car lengths on her, but she does the ricer fly by after I slow down from 100 ( I figured her speed limiter would have kicked in by then). She continues weaving in and out of traffic up ahead and I get caught at a light. She was driving way to reckless for me to get involved any further.

Case in point #2.

Last night (again) coming home from Wal-Mart on I-75 in McKinney. No cars around, but only two lanes. Some car is right on my butt getting on the freeway. 2nd gear on the freeway and I put 3 or 4 car lengths between us but that was it as it was keeping up with me. Hmmm, I thought. This might be interesting. I slow down and it is a black Evo 8 with two teenagers driving. The driver was acting cool at this point, but the passenger was spazzing out about something. He kept moving his hand across his neck like ole red didn’t stand a chance against his might Evo.

Okay, I provoked him (shame on me). I go into third at about 60 bip the throttle to let him know I have an itchy right foot. When I hear him punch it I go too. He lurched ahead but the mustang stopped that process and pulled ahead by a hood. He was right on my right side window when I noticed he was inching up a little. He let off because of a truck in his lane. After that, he didn’t try to catch up to me by going around the truck, but I had to exit anyway. HE DID TOO!! I look at my wife and tell her to get ready again. This guy then gets right on my butt again. I can’t even see his lights between the trunk and spoiler.

Down to2nd gear from there and I slow down to get ready to go again.

BTW, the service road was about to be long and straight with no cars and no turn outs.

But, he turns right instead of following me anymore. Good thing too, I probably would have lost and had to look at his spasmatic friend :kooky: do his dance again.

I don’t know what the deal is with tailgating in those instances. It just pisses me off enough to make me want to piss them off.

And now the good.

Case in point #3.

This morning on 121 in Collin Countay agai. (my favorite place to look for action)

I am guessing to this year of Mustang GT, maybe 99 or 2000? The tail lights were a little rounded and the whole body had rounded edges. Chrome Cobra wheels and an exhaust is all the mods I could distinguish. The guy must have seen me behind him because he was working to get ahead of all the traffic and into the clearing, so was I. He is in the middle lane, I am on his right and behind him waiting to catch a red light. SUCCESS!! The light ahead begins to turn yellow then red. I pull up alongside him and he acknowledges with a customary blip of the throttle. Hearing the low growl from his GT and Ole Reds own growl got me all tingly. Traction control off, light turns green and we gingerly roll out of the light. Half way through 1st we hit it at the same time. Dead even at this point but with every shift upwards he falls a couple of feet back and then stays with me. 3rd, same thing, 4th gear and 120 mph later we let off. He never left my back fender. We drove on a ways with me staying behind him a respectable distance. After getting on I-75 North, he rolls his window half way down and humbly waves to signal it was a fair and good race. I wave back and smile.

Technically I know I won, but I don’t really consider it a win. His stang was hanging with mine through all the gears. If it wasn’t for the different shift points it would have been a photo finish.

Kudos to whoever you are in the green GT on 121 North this morning. If you read this message board.

·
Registered
977 Posts
With regards to scenario number 1, those types aren't thinking about racing. They are simply psycho drives with little thought about what's going on around them. If you pass them, they just angry and will do whatever it takes to get in front and continue on. I have a friend like this and I won't drive with him anymore. He's nuts and just doesn't get how dangerous he becomes.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Brent05redfire said:
kept moving his hand across his neck like ole red didn’t stand a chance against his might Evo.
Hate to say that, but the Evos really are ALMOST all mighty.
Chip 'em, with a large intercooler and alcohol/water injection and you have f***ing rocket.
Plus, they have great traction!

·
Registered
567 Posts
95MGTS said:
With regards to scenario number 1, those types aren't thinking about racing. They are simply psycho drives with little thought about what's going on around them. If you pass them, they just angry and will do whatever it takes to get in front and continue on. I have a friend like this and I won't drive with him anymore. He's nuts and just doesn't get how dangerous he becomes.
I know alot of Domestic car owner that drives like that..... :shrug
My brother is one of em... :sosad:

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Possibly...

It has always been my feeling that a lot of peoiple aren't really racing. They know they can't really keep up, it just feels good to see someone with a *really* fast car let loose and rocket away from you like you are standing still. I know I love to see it.

I don't race on the roads. However, I don't know any other cars that sound like a Mustang, with rumbly mufflers, dropping down and grabbing third at 60MPH. Squash-you-back-into-the-seat, like gravity just shifted to the horizontal. Everyone likes to see you accelerate, like you were launcing, off a light, only you are already moving at 60. My favorite sound is the way it rumbles when driving between the Jersey Barricades, in a construction zone. Not speeding, just a little reverb/echo, off the concrete. Tunnels and overpasses make it so I couldn't possibly get out of the car, for a while :)

Street bikes do the same thing to me. Gives me goosebumps to watch the ricer bikes move out, from highway speeds. I really don't think I would want one, despite their power.

Lots of people might not be *really* racing. Just love to see how bad they would have gotten their a$$ handed to them, if they had been.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I for one do not like to street race but there are always those times when people ask for it. For example, I get on the freeway, put my blinker on and move over to the fast lane. Next thing I know, the old man in the Lincoln Mark VIII fly's up to me and cuts me off. No traffic, I didn't instigate it, apparently he just didn't like being passed by another car, or maybe because at the time, it was my 03 Cobra. Maybe he hated mustangs. So I thought, you'll have to earn than and blew by him. Now if someone with a big ego can't handle getting passed and is willing to take their car up to insane speeds to prove they win, okay, you win. Coming back from the track two weeks ago, me in my Vette and a buddy in his Z06 and psycho driver in a beat-up Datsun truck went nuts when we passed him on the freeway. I noticed him when he swerved into my lane when I passed him. I thought it was just because he was an old man. Next thing I know, I see him weaving like crazy through traffic, including the emergency lanes. My buddy is behind me and I see the guy literally come a foot from hitting him, cutting him off. My bud got away from him and we kept our distance. I see it all the time. Just nuts.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I hate those idiots out there who are brave enough to pull out into the left lane, but then are afraid to pass. The worst ones are the ones who try to thwart your efforts, when they see you have a way around their stupid slow @$$es. Once they are behind you, you can do your steady 5 MPH over the limit, and watch them fade way back, because they are always doing exactly what the other idiots around them are doing, speedwise.

·
Registered
472 Posts
95MGTS said:
I for one do not like to street race but there are always those times when people ask for it. For example, I get on the freeway, put my blinker on and move over to the fast lane. Next thing I know, the old man in the Lincoln Mark VIII fly's up to me and cuts me off. No traffic, I didn't instigate it, apparently he just didn't like being passed by another car, or maybe because at the time, it was my 03 Cobra. Maybe he hated mustangs. So I thought, you'll have to earn than and blew by him. Now if someone with a big ego can't handle getting passed and is willing to take their car up to insane speeds to prove they win, okay, you win. Coming back from the track two weeks ago, me in my Vette and a buddy in his Z06 and psycho driver in a beat-up Datsun truck went nuts when we passed him on the freeway. I noticed him when he swerved into my lane when I passed him. I thought it was just because he was an old man. Next thing I know, I see him weaving like crazy through traffic, including the emergency lanes. My buddy is behind me and I see the guy literally come a foot from hitting him, cutting him off. My bud got away from him and we kept our distance. I see it all the time. Just nuts.
I do not like true street racing, either. When I was younger and traffic lighter, we would run red light to red light a lot - not weaving in and out of traffic, etc. Those were more acceleration battles, though, as the space between redlights on the stretch of road I am talking about doesn't really allow for building up too much speed. However, I get your point about using your speed/acceleration advantages to get away from bad drivers. In fact, these situations are the ones that I am referring to in my sig. Sometimes there is an idiot driver who seems to be trying to cause a wreck (or a guy who got his CDLs two days ago and wants to run over you in his semi) who just will not stay away from you. You get over to let them have the lane all to themselves, but that doesn't satisfy them. They won't get away from you and won't stop driving like idiots. In those cases, hitting the gas and simply running off and leaving the idiot is the safest, and often only, option - even if it requires hitting speeds that are well in excess of the legal limit. I feel safer doing 90-100 with no one around me than doing 65-70 in the vicinity of morons. It comes down to the fact that I trust my driving ability and don't trust theirs.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I think you would have a more challenging race against a moped. Celica's aren't really performance cars if you ask me. Hm, I tried to look it up on the toyota site, but I guess they don't make em anymore...wonder why ;-). I find it funny that they slap a GT symbol on it when it doesnt even top 200 hp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.