Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
10 Years ago my wife purchased a very nice 1995 Mustang LX with a 3.8 liter automatic. This car was well cared for by a young college girl who wanted to get the max on trade for a new Celica. It had 89,000 miles and was great. 4 years later the heat stopped working. I took it to the local Ford dealer wanting it repaired right. They replaced the timing chain gasket and I had them do a tune up and change the oil. 12 miles later the heater quit again. I took it back and they bled the air out of the cooling system. While doing it I noticed the engine ticking very loudly. I asked and was told "All 3.8 liters do this"! My reply was this one had never done it. 3 weeks later my wife took it to her mothers about 400 miles round trip. On the way back she called and said that every time she came to a stop the oil pressure dropped. But it came back when she accelerated. I asked her to pull over and I would call the auto club to come bring it home. Of course she said it would be OK. When she got back home 2 rods were broken. I checked the oil and receipt and it had been changed but they had put 5W-20 in it. They said Ford recommended that grade for fuel economy. This car had always had Castrol 10W-30. They wanted $3,600.00 to repair it but fixed it at no charge after complaining to Ford in Detroit. But every since the Crankshaft position sensor has been off. I have taken it down there 7 to 8 times and it comes back on. I just put a new one on it and it is back on again. I was told by them that a tool had to be used to position the sensor but cannot find anything else about such a tool. Anyone have any ideas? I am afraid to go anywhere else.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I think some dealers intentionally do bad work on older cars as a way of getting the owner to buy a new car.

I don't understand why they would change a timing chain gasket when the problem was no heat. These guys were totally stupid to put the wrong oil in your car.

I don't understand what you're saying here:

"But every since the Crankshaft position sensor has been off. I have taken it down there 7 to 8 times and it comes back on. I just put a new one on it and it is back on again."

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
It would help if you posted the DTC code.

However....consider that when the CAM sensor fails, the PCM responds by firing the fuel injectors on EVERY stroke. This results in fuel being sprayed on a closed value (the PCM does not "know" the compression from the exhaust stroke).

This causes twice as much fuel to be used. If operated for an extended period of time, the excess fuel will wash the oil from the cylinder bore AND dilute the oil.

It doesn't take a leap of faith to see how severely gas diluted oil can cause engine problems.

FWIIW, Ford has issued a TSB authorizing the use of 5W-20 oil in all vehicles (even in cases where the owner’s manual called for 5W-30 weight oil).

Perhaps the combination of lighter oil and gas dilution made engine failure occur sooner. Without knowing how much gas (if any) is in the oil, an exact determination is an educated guess.

Also consider that the Ford service manual states that the correct synchronizing tool MUST be used when ever the CAM sensor is removed/installed. The problem is there are several versions of CAM sensors used across the model years. So, if the CAM sensor has been removed/installed several times, this opens up the possibility that the work was not done correctly.

I’m sure that others will disagree, but IMO it is unlikely that the use of 5W-20 oil is the sole source of the problem. Sorry.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
why are you questioning what the motor says on it

R

·
0 Posts
the cap says it but all other explorer 4.0l use 5w30 and i didnt know what 3.8 use
The Explorers 4.0L is a different engine all together. It is a Cologne family engine.
The 3.8/3.9 was an Essex family engine.
5w20 is the correct weight for it.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
yes my 3.8 says 5-20 but we all know that Ford plays it safe, what oil should we really use or is 5-20 really it?

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
its a conspiracy use 10w40...

lol only joking.. use what it says on the cap... anything else and you're taking your engines fate in your own hands

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
10w40? isnt that the spray? lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts