Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took two co-workers in the Mustang to a work luncheon. On the way back I was showing off a little by showing them how quick and hard the car accellerates on the highway. Then at a stop sign I thought I'd really get on it. Now keep in mind I did fill up this morning so the tank was full. I weigh 250 lbs and I'm guessing they are both around the same. The car is an automatic but when I stepped on the gas all the way to the floor there was a little hesitation which I think I'm the only one who noticed, but the tires didn't even spin the slightest. I was really expecting them to light up. May have been they were to warm and just sticking real good since we had just come off the highway

Guess I'll have to redeem myself and the Mustang after work with a black stripe out of the employees parking lot.:D

The big guy in the back seat was hilarious though!

·
Registered
478 Posts
interesting...do these have a traction control button like the 99-04s? maybe you should have taken it off if it does. but sounds like a good plan to redeem ur stang after work i may just do that later as well:)

·
Registered
947 Posts
:heha:

Get a tune for your automatic

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have not driven the V6 Mustang, but even the 5.0 I have does not really launch as hard from a stop as I expected. There is some throttle lag, plus somewhat tallish gearing, plus the 5.0 doesn't have monster low-end torque anyway.

I had a 275 HP LT1 Camaro (1995) automatic that was like a demon in first gear, compared to this Mustang.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have not driven the V6 Mustang, but even the 5.0 I have does not really launch as hard from a stop as I expected. There is some throttle lag, plus somewhat tallish gearing, plus the 5.0 doesn't have monster low-end torque anyway.

I had a 275 HP LT1 Camaro (1995) automatic that was like a demon in first gear, compared to this Mustang.
Must be Auto problem. First gear is unusable I have so much torque...

·
Registered
48 Posts
We have an auto with the 3.15 rear end and a Bama tune. Ive never had 3 adults but with another passenger and the traction control off the tires will light up from a dead stop!

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
V6 or GT and traction on or off?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Fat boys + acceleration is not a good formula. Every 100 pounds is a tenth of a second in the quarter mile. Every tenth of a second is a CAR LENGTH in the quarter.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I hope you held your foot on the brake and held down the TC button for 5 seconds to deactivate everything.

The babysitting system that they put in will halt any "get up and go" if it senses wheel spin. It'll cut the fuel and embarrass you.

At the very least, when you get ready to do something, put your foot on the brake and try double-tapping the TC to put it in Sports Mode. Fims up the steering wheel and lets you play more :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
traction control off or not, thats a lot of extra weight you had in there, as said thats a huge effect on acceleration

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Fat boys + acceleration is not a good formula. Every 100 pounds is a tenth of a second in the quarter mile. Every tenth of a second is a CAR LENGTH in the quarter.
That was classic. Fat boys + lunch in them no less.lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have an auto with the 3.15 rear end and a Bama tune. Ive never had 3 adults but with another passenger and the traction control off the tires will light up from a dead stop!
Got the same gearing and no I didn't turn the traction control off. Didn't even cross my mind.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I wish mine didn't spin at half throttle, let alone WOT.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hope you held your foot on the brake and held down the TC button for 5 seconds to deactivate everything.

The babysitting system that they put in will halt any "get up and go" if it senses wheel spin. It'll cut the fuel and embarrass you.

At the very least, when you get ready to do something, put your foot on the brake and try double-tapping the TC to put it in Sports Mode. Fims up the steering wheel and lets you play more :bigthumbsup
Is there information somewhere beside this forum on the "sport mode" as you call it?

·
Registered
34 Posts
All the manual says is it's for "spirited driving". Forums say it dials back traction and stability control a little so you can have some fun. It also firms up steering.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
I've had this sort of thing (OP) happen to me many times, but it's always the result of the wrong clutch to accelerator pedal ratio. I don't quite have this "dumping the clutch" thing down. At other times I find just the right combo. Yesterday, for instance, my 2.73's boiled the tires, blew off a ploom of white nasty rubber-burned smoke, and shaked, rattled and rolled. Of course, it was just me; no passengers. Full tank of gas though (freshly topped off). I had the traction control feature off and was running on perfect new asphalt in 113 degrees of air temperature. The asphalt was probably 20 degrees hotter, if not more.

Although most of the time there is not enough torque to really light things up with other people in the car (it depends on a lot of environmental factors), I have managed to get a good squeal or two before the tires bite. But yeah, it really sucks when you intend to show off and you bog it instead. I think some of it could be overcome with deeper gears: tap into that power band a bit quicker, but mostly it's just trial, error, and consistency.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.