Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not interested in blowing the doors off a porche, as I have been clear in a previous post that I do not get to use my power very much. But I do want to shock a few people who call my car a girls car, plus I just want a little more. aside from upgrade exhaust and a CAI, what can I do to push my output up to about 350 to 400. I know in the world of performance that is a broad range, but that is generally the range I want to be in. But 350 would be my lower limit.

·
Registered
94 Posts
BBK LT's and Xpipe
Axle-Backs
CAI
Tune
All this will put you around 350 at the crank gears would also help. Your not gonna get 400 without putting down too much money.

·
Registered
702 Posts
we need more info:

current transmission?
current rear end ratio?

If you say auto and 2.73, then no wonder you want more entertainment.

·
Registered
94 Posts
He obviously has the same tranny everyone else does. And if you have stock gears then an upgrade is needed even if you have 3.31's imo. My list will work.

·
Banned
1,345 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I understood everything but the BBK LT's I know BBK makes a CAI but not sure what a LT is.. as I said, I am new to this

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
All the normally aspirated mods out there will never get you anywhere near to 400 HP, that will only come from forced induction or nitrous.

350 is even a stretch.

Tune, gears and sticky tires will get you in the low 13's, how fast do you think you need to go?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the advice. Did not think about headers. That will have to wait awhile. Starting with the CAI next week, and the exhaust probably a week later.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another question. My area isnt really full of performance shops. can a general mechanic who is really trustworthy change out the gears or should I find a performance shop for these type of upgrades

·
Registered
460 Posts
find someone who specializes in Differentials

·
Registered
412 Posts
All the normally aspirated mods out there will never get you anywhere near to 400 HP, that will only come from forced induction or nitrous.

350 is even a stretch.

Tune, gears and sticky tires will get you in the low 13's, how fast do you think you need to go?
Yea if u wanted 400 hp you shouldve got the 5.0, dont get into a HP pissing contest with gear heads..just make it a nice car and enjoy. There will always be someone with more power so unless you want to drop 55k on a cobra or z06 just chill out!!

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Another question. My area isnt really full of performance shops. can a general mechanic who is really trustworthy change out the gears or should I find a performance shop for these type of upgrades
No, find a place that does gear setups all the time.

Do a google search for Differential repair + your city and see what you find.

·
Registered
540 Posts
+1 on the dedicated drive line shop. As well as their is always gunna be a guy or gal out their with a faster car. Just if you are struck with the modding bug make it the car of your dreams:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
again thanks for the tips guys. And yea I know there is always more power. i just want to get the most bang for my modest buck. 350 HP should be plenty for my driving habits.

·
Registered
37 Posts
YOU really need to check out STANG HI PERFORMANCE in Baton Rouge, La. your home town.....They do all & everything for Mustangs and they are at the track every weekend testing...

11124 C"edar Park Ave
Baton rouge, La. 70809
225-751-4321
[email protected]
www.stanghi.com

help this helps,

Ricky

J

·
0 Posts
I'll eat my hat the day a mustang can hang with a Cayman S in the twisties.

..and yes I'm aware of Jack Roush's team's standings in Grand Am but that car ain't stock.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I'll eat my hat the day a mustang can hang with a Cayman S in the twisties.

..and yes I'm aware of Jack Roush's team's standings in Grand Am but that car ain't stock.
I think he said the base Cayman though, not the Cayman S. I see no reason why a PP V6 couldnt hang with the base Cayman.

To the OP. Don't kid yourself. "Just a little more power" I dont think it'll ever be enough. You should be able to reach 350 crank easily.
There is a guy on youtube running:
C&L CAI
Roush Axleback
AM 93 race tune
BBK LT's
BBK O/R X

He pulled 315rwhp :yup: and 270rwtq:weeps

So I think it can be done. Not sure how much faster that will make you in your day-to-day driving though.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts