Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Countless people have told me that my stock T5 will never hold up behind my 393, but through 199 passes it has been fine.

Pass number 200 however was asking too much of it I guess. I launched fine, 1-2 shift was normal, went for third and "BANG" was heard very loud. After that I was in coast mode.

You guys who say good time slips are all in the 60's should know that with a 1.7 sixty my et was 17.66 @ 48.49 mph!

I guess I shouldn't complain as it's the first time I had to be towed back to the pits. I see some of the same guys being towed almost every week, so it could be worse.

Upon teardown I find that the input shaft has somehow lost all it's teeth and the cluster gear is missing a few as well. Well they're not really missing as I found them at the bottom of the case.

So my problem now is I want to get the car back together ASAP so I don't miss too many races, but my budget is stretched to the max. If I had the $$$ I'd just buy a G-Force or A5 transmission and be done with it, but that's going to have to wait, probably till next year.

All the rest of the internals look mint so I think I can get away with just replacing the input and cluster gears. I don't know if upgraded versions of these parts are available outside of buying the entire G-Force kit or not. I'll have to look into that.

At any rate I'll be calling Hanlon's tomorrow and see what they have to say.

All in all I'd say I've been pretty fortunate so far as this is the first major parts failure I've had. I've been sort of waiting for the transmission to go since I overbuilt the rear to the point that I don't think it will ever give me a problem, and have a low revving motor that's easy on parts which leaves the T5 as the weak point of the power train.

It also probably didn't help that I've switched to stickier tires. It's one of those good news is the car's launching better, bad news is it's eating transmissions type deals!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Dammit I jinxed you and for that I apologize feel free to jinx me mmb617. Honestly sucks that it happened but I'm very surprised that it lasted that long so that's cool.

R

·
0 Posts
Dammit I jinxed you and for that I apologize feel free to jinx me mmb617. Honestly sucks that it happened but I'm very surprised that it lasted that long so that's cool.

Yep its your fault......

send him your tranny.....

nevermind that one won't go into 4th gear.......:gringreen
Sorry about your luck on the tranny......

Give promotion a call walt and the crew will hook you up......

ProMotion Powertrain

·
Registered
118 Posts
ahh that's really tough luck. sorry to hear. at least she gave you 150+ passes!

·
Registered
420 Posts
wow that really sucks but the good new is you 60' and you got 200 passes on it. im surprised it held up that well. best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered the parts from Hanlon's today. Quickest $500 I ever spent. Hopefully it'll get me through the rest of the season now. It turns out my transmission is a 92-93 model year which already has the strongest input shaft I can buy without getting the whole G-Force kit.

I priced the G-Force kit while I was on the line with them. The way they do it is I ship them my core and they rebuild it to G-Force specs. Bottom line is $2185 for the strongest parts I can get including all gears and the upgraded main shaft. Guess I better start saving up, as I'd like to have it for next season.

I'm finding out that if you aren't poor when you start racing (which I was), you will be before you're in it too long.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
I ordered the parts from Hanlon's today. Quickest $500 I ever spent. Hopefully it'll get me through the rest of the season now. It turns out my transmission is a 92-93 model year which already has the strongest input shaft I can buy without getting the whole G-Force kit.

I priced the G-Force kit while I was on the line with them. The way they do it is I ship them my core and they rebuild it to G-Force specs. Bottom line is $2185 for the strongest parts I can get including all gears and the upgraded main shaft. Guess I better start saving up, as I'd like to have it for next season.

I'm finding out that if you aren't poor when you start racing (which I was), you will be before you're in it too long.
The tranny has served you well. Time to give it a decent burial......

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wanted to let you all know that I'm back in business. I spent a few hours last night and then most of the day today getting the transmission repaired and reinstalled. I took a short test drive afterwards and everything seems to be working fine.

I can't wait to get back to the track Friday night. I missed two races and it seems like forever. Plus I dropped from second to fourth in the points so I need to make up some ground. I hope I can get through the rest of the year without any more major break downs. My wallet is tapped out, one more expensive problem and I'll be done for the year..

Wish me luck!

R

·
0 Posts
Wishing you the best of luck.....

glad to hear you are back in the game.......:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
He's called Bangin Bob for a reason.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got back to the track last night. Good news is the transmission worked without any problems at all. Bad news is I lost in the first round.

I got to run against the best racer and current points leader in my class in the first round. We had us one hell of a race, the kind that makes this stuff fun. I had a slightly better light, and crossed the stripe inches ahead but on a double break out I ran .030 under and he ran .025 under so I got beat by .005! It couldn't have been much closer.

While I would have liked to have gone a few more rounds, I still had a good time, and there's always next week!

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Darn..... Glad to hear you are back together though and things are working fine. I'm sure you'll meet up with him again.:bigthumbsup

R

·
0 Posts
Finally got back to the track last night. Good news is the transmission worked without any problems at all. Bad news is I lost in the first round.

I got to run against the best racer and current points leader in my class in the first round. We had us one hell of a race, the kind that makes this stuff fun. I had a slightly better light, and crossed the stripe inches ahead but on a double break out I ran .030 under and he ran .025 under so I got beat by .005! It couldn't have been much closer.

While I would have liked to have gone a few more rounds, I still had a good time, and there's always next week!
Well you did beat him proves you had the better car & driver.....:gringreen

Give 'em hell next week........:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had to whip out the old calculator and see just how close the .005 MOV is. According to my calculations it's 11 inches, so yeah that's a close race.

Some guys try to line up in the staging lanes so as to avoid having to run the "big dogs" in the early rounds. I never worry about who I'm matched with since the way I see it is if I cut a good light and run my number, there isn't anybody I can't beat. If it doesn't work out it just means I screwed up somewhere and have to be more on top of my game next time. And there's always going to be a next time.

This is the first time I ever did any points racing and I'm getting a great education from some of the guys who've been at it a while.

R

·
0 Posts
Words ^^^^^^^To Live By......:bigthumbsup

All you have to do is run your race......:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.