Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was driving home the other night after dark. Turned down a dimly lit side street. As I came around the corner two bicyclists were out riding in the middle of the street, black cloths, no lights, or even reflectors on their bikes. I almost hit them visibility was so poor, and these weak-assed low beams they put on the 2005 Mustang sure didn’t help much. So I started looking for something better, came across these:

H13 9008 light bulb Xenon Platinum White from Heliolite

Anyone have any experience with them, or this seller? Anyone have any suggestions for a plug-in upgrade on the bulbs? I’m not interested in an HID kit, just some better bulbs. I’m at the point to where I feel like just driving with the high beams on all the time visibility is so poor with the low beams.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Was driving home the other night after dark. Turned down a dimly lit side street. As I came around the corner two bicyclists were out riding in the middle of the street, black cloths, no lights, or even reflectors on their bikes. I almost hit them visibility was so poor, and these weak-assed low beams they put on the 2005 Mustang sure didn’t help much. So I started looking for something better, came across these:

Anyone have any experience with them, or this seller? Anyone have any suggestions for a plug-in upgrade on the bulbs? I’m not interested in an HID kit, just some better bulbs. I’m at the point to where I feel like just driving with the high beams on all the time visibility is so poor with the low beams.
I hated my low beams on my '06 and tried Silverstars, to no avail, then I came to realize that it left the factory with the aim seriously low. After aligning the lights to their proper position they worked great.

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
my lows are super fine
the brights are better

·
Registered
717 Posts

that's why we have a good amount of trunk space :yelwacko:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok just tried adjusting the headlights. That did help some. They seem to have a fairly sharp cutoff point vertically, which I guess is what you want for the lows. They still seem a bit weak though, especially compared to the high beams, now those do light up the street.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Another thread suggested these:

Sylvania SilverStar Ultras

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I've used Sylvania Silverstars. There is def. an appreciable diff.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I also have Sylvania Silverstars currently and they are much brighter. But I am not sure if they make the ultras for the 05-09 stangs.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was looking around at the Silverstars, apparently there have been a few reports of a shorter lifespan than the stock bulbs, seemed to be mostly high vibration applications that failures occurred in (motorcycles, off-road vehicles, etc.). Couldn’t find the longer-lived Ultras for our application.

Took the pony out at midnight last night so there wouldn’t be so much traffic around and I could better judge the light pattern after I adjusted the alignment. It is definitely better now, but the low beams still seem a bit yellow and weak, especially compared to the high beams. Think I may try some different bulbs along with the re-alignment.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Just pick up a GT grill with the lights. I use my grill mounted drive lights all the time, they really light up the area.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just pick up a GT grill with the lights. I use my grill mounted drive lights all the time, they really light up the area.
The thought had occurred to me, I used to have the fog lights on my '68 GT and they did help, but I'm trying to keep this one looking as stock as possible.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
ebox909 items - Get great deals on items on eBay Stores!

plug and play HID's, very cheap, great buy. I've been running them for over 6 months and not a single issue. They aren't much more then the bulbs themselves if you stay with halogen. I got the $40 Foglight ones first, then immediatly ordered the headlights, they rocked :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.