Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, im brand new to this forum and i have been reading some threads for a couple of days now. I had my 2000 Silver Mustang for about 2 years now and Im really looking into getting some modding done on it.
First of all, my step dad backed his Nissan Titan into my car about a couple of weeks ago and now i NEED a new hood, front bumper and headlights. I was thinking on getting a replacement stock bumper, a carbon fiber hood and smoke headlights instead of the standard chrome headlights. Along with that, I want to get new rims and I cant decide what will look best with these modifications i just mentioned. Any help with that?
Also, I wanted to get some performance mods and I heard 3.73 gears with a t-lok is the biggest bang for the buck. does anyone have a good link to get both? and if anyone has any input for any other mods, feel free to let me know. Im a total noob to all of this and i would really appreciate any help i can get. Thanks in advance!

p.s Im not looking into spending thousands of dollars just yet. i need some more money for that later down the road. if anyone can send me links for the cheapest stuff i have mention, it would be a real blessing.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
3.73's are great, make sure you get a tuner to get them calibrated. American muscle has a package deal and make sure you use the coupon code "mustangforums" for a 6% discount on your purchase:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1 Posts
3.73 way too low

Hey everyone, im brand new to this forum and i have been reading some threads for a couple of days now. I had my 2000 Silver Mustang for about 2 years now and Im really looking into getting some modding done on it.
First of all, my step dad backed his Nissan Titan into my car about a couple of weeks ago and now i NEED a new hood, front bumper and headlights. I was thinking on getting a replacement stock bumper, a carbon fiber hood and smoke headlights instead of the standard chrome headlights. Along with that, I want to get new rims and I cant decide what will look best with these modifications i just mentioned. Any help with that?
Also, I wanted to get some performance mods and I heard 3.73 gears with a t-lok is the biggest bang for the buck. does anyone have a good link to get both? and if anyone has any input for any other mods, feel free to let me know. Im a total noob to all of this and i would really appreciate any help i can get. Thanks in advance!

p.s Im not looking into spending thousands of dollars just yet. i need some more money for that later down the road. if anyone can send me links for the cheapest stuff i have mention, it would be a real blessing.

3.73 Gears are way
too low! 3.55 would be
your best be. t-lok is
good if you can keep it
from going in circles
A k&n Intake and
throttle body spacer,
mass airflow sensor
will be a good start
and about 50hp
if you have a 4.6L V8
That'll run about $500
I have a 01 with 3.55
gears Detroit true-trac
mods i said about
and a full exhaust
i built with Cherry Bomb
Glasspacks
It dinoed 285 Rear wheel
Hp after mods and 208
before so it made an extra
77 hp it does 0-60 in 4.6 sec

Andrew
LC Performance

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the suggestions guys and thanks for the coupon forbra! LCperformance, do you know a good website for the t-lok you have? and i have a 3.8L by the way.

and whats the difference between 3.73 and 3.55 gears?

and i just looked at americanmuscle and i dont see any package deals, is there a link that you can send me? sorry for me being in idiot and total noob.

·
Registered
537 Posts
3.73's are a lower gear, meaning you will run higher rpm's but you will have your power transfered to the ground faster. The lower the gear the harder you will launch. The general rule for a v6 mustang is 3.73's for stick and 4.10's for auto.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
v6stang thanks alot. i have a auto so i guess i will be getting the 4.10 gears. do you know where i can get a t-lok? and what kind? and if possible, send a link? like i said before, im a noob looking for my car to be the way i always wanted it to be!

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
3.73 Gears are way
too low! 3.55 would be
your best be. t-lok is
good if you can keep it
from going in circles
A k&n Intake and
throttle body spacer,
mass airflow sensor
will be a good start
and about 50hp
if you have a 4.6L V8
That'll run about $500
I have a 01 with 3.55
gears Detroit true-trac
mods i said about
and a full exhaust
i built with Cherry Bomb
Glasspacks
It dinoed 285 Rear wheel
Hp after mods and 208
before so it made an extra
77 hp it does 0-60 in 4.6 sec

Andrew
LC Performance
You have no idea about V6's, do you???????

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have a V6. We put in 3.73 gears with a t-lok and a true dual exhuast with h-pipe (v-force mufflers) and it is great. Sounds good and it is a lot more fun to drive now. We did not loose any mpg on the interstate, just seemsed to put it into a better power range. These are the first two things I would do and then look at bolt-ons for the engine later.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Do they even make a 3.55 gear ratio for the 7.5 rear-end?

How did that guy gain 50hp off of a CAI, Throttle body spacer, and MAF sensor? How did you dyno 285rwhp with a 2v 4.6L with 3 bolt-ons? You don't have any idea of what you are talking about do you?

I think I smell a ricer...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
promustang, do you have a standard or an auto? because that guy above (i forgot to look at the name) stated that if you have an auto, then 4.10 is your best bet and 3.73 for standard. im def getting gears but i jus need to know which one. and what t-lok should i get?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
promustang, do you have a standard or an auto? because that guy above (i forgot to look at the name) stated that if you have an auto, then 4.10 is your best bet and 3.73 for standard. im def getting gears but i jus need to know which one. and what t-lok should i get?
Generally people run 4.10's on autos and 3.73's on stick but you can use either one on sticks or autos. It is a preference thing, 4.10's give the heaviest low end acceleration but will cause a higher loss in mpg and are harder on the motor during highway driving. 3.73's give good low end acceleration but you won't lose as much mpg and they are better for highway driving. I personally like lower ratio gears.

This is a good deal for 3.73's
Ford 7.5" Ring & Pinion Set 3.73 Ratio

Here's a good T-lok if you are planning on making more than 240-250 rwhp then this one won't work
Ford Racing 7.5" TRAK-LOK 1994-2008 V6 - Free Shipping! M-4204-C75

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
You sound like a guy who likes a little show and a little go, so I would suggest I good dual exhaust system as well. Better sound, a little more power, and lets face it two tail pipes just looks cooler.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tex, you know me like a book already. a little of both is what i need. im jus have the money to get some performance mods done along with some cosmetics. give me a summer of working (college student) and i will be good to go with more performance mods. thanks for the links dude. i appreciate it. and if you have any more suggestions, post more link and comments. this is the fun part, picking the right combo of stuff to make this car look and run like a beauty.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is that all that is needed to up grade the rear end? The t-lock
just make the rear end a posi, right?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
another question, how much do you think it will cost for 3.73 gears, a t-lok, and an install?? does it have to be installed professionally or can it be done by a person with experience in replacing parts? thanks again

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Is that all that is needed to up grade the rear end? The t-lock
just make the rear end a posi, right?
For starter posi-trac and T-lok aren't the same thing. To answer the question it depends on how much you need to handle. The T-lok link I posted isn't any stronger than the factory differential but it gives you better traction. An Auburn or Detroit Tru-trac is significantly stronger than the Ford Racing T-lok but they cost twice as much. For really high powered applications the 7.5" just isn't strong enough and you would need an 8.8" out of an GT.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
another question, how much do you think it will cost for 3.73 gears, a t-lok, and an install?? does it have to be installed professionally or can it be done by a person with experience in replacing parts? thanks again
Installing stuff in the rear end is tricky and I wouldn't suggest doing it yourself. If you did gears and T-lok at the same time it will definetly cut down on labor, down here it was somewhere around $220-$250.

There is a laundry list of things you can do to your car, the question is what can you afford? Once you have an idea of how much you are willing to put in to the car then you need to work out a game plan based on that.

Oh and you mentioned upgrading the wheels so just some FYI, a lot of people like the look of big rims and get 18x9's; but you need to know the larger the wheel the heavier it is and the more rotational mass it carries. For the mostly stock V6's 17x8's are perfect but 17x9's are acceptable to.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tex, thats what i figured about installing it myself. i read somewhere that i would need an install kid with the t-lok and i wasnt sure what exactly i needed to get to bring to a shop to get it installed. i dont want to go with missing items.
and for the rims, i wasnt looking into 18's, 17x9 is the most i would do. im jus getting sick of the stock rims, i need chrome, hypercoated, or black. tell me what you think? i havent figured it out yet.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
tex, thats what i figured about installing it myself. i read somewhere that i would need an install kid with the t-lok and i wasnt sure what exactly i needed to get to bring to a shop to get it installed. i dont want to go with missing items.
and for the rims, i wasnt looking into 18's, 17x9 is the most i would do. im jus getting sick of the stock rims, i need chrome, hypercoated, or black. tell me what you think? i havent figured it out yet.
You will need a shim kit and fluid, but if you take the T-lok to a shop they will know exactly what to get.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.