Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a few quesions. First lets talk about the speedometer. My friend just bought a new 1 series bmw and it has 300 horsepower just like my GT/CS however his speedometer goes up to 160mph and my only goes up to 140. Does this mean his is faster? Another question is what is up with twin turbo? He has one in his bmw which gives him the 300 horsepower. Dont those run out and do they really count towards true horsepower? Last question is racing stripes. Are they meant to be on only certain mustangs? I'm thinking about putting some on my black GT/CS but I dont want to be a poser if they are meant for the GT5OO or other special Mustangs. Ah and another question that just hit me is does anyone know why ford is allowing the V-6 Mustang to have all the bells and whistles like the GT's? I'm talking about body kits. I've seen a few that made me look twice and once they rolled by they were only V-6 made my blood boil because if your giong to put all that money in looking like my v-8 why not just buy one instead of faking the funk?

Juice:headscratch::shigrin

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I have a few quesions. First lets talk about the speedometer. My friend just bought a new 1 series bmw and it has 300 horsepower just like my GT/CS however his speedometer goes up to 160mph and my only goes up to 140. Does this mean his is faster? Another question is what is up with twin turbo? He has one in his bmw which gives him the 300 horsepower. Dont those run out and do they really count towards true horsepower? Last question is racing stripes. Are they meant to be on only certain mustangs? I'm thinking about putting some on my black GT/CS but I dont want to be a poser if they are meant for the GT5OO or other special Mustangs. Ah and another question that just hit me is does anyone know why ford is allowing the V-6 Mustang to have all the bells and whistles like the GT's? I'm talking about body kits. I've seen a few that made me look twice and once they rolled by they were only V-6 made my blood boil because if your giong to put all that money in looking like my v-8 why not just buy one instead of faking the funk?

Juice:headscratch::shigrin
The HP rating is more related to mid to high RPM's. Tourque is more bottom end. Your question of if it is faster. Turbo makes power when you spool it up, so it is not as fast out of the hole as a V-8, The turbo you mentioned may have more top-end. So what do you want? Fast as in "top speed" or Quick as in "zero to 144 MPH"

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ok - first off, the speedo guage has nothing to do with the HP your car kicks out - it's a manufacturing descision.

The a turbo car that is 300HP is just as powerful as a natually aspirated 300HP engine. The turbo a a power-adder because (like a supercharger) forces air and ultimately the air/fuel mix into the combustion chamber. Not like the naturally aspirated cars that rely on the vacuum to pull the air/fuel mix into the cylinders.

The supercharger uses your fan belt to power a compressor wheel that forces air into the intake manifold.

The turbo uses exhaust gases from your exhaust manifold to spin up a turbine - this is connected by a shaft to a compressor wheel that forces the air into the intake mani.

Many arguements as to which is better - SC are a bit parasitic because they take horsepower from the engine (via the fan belt) to power the compressor. The turbo uses exhaust which does no take any power away from the engine, but some take a bit to spin (or spool) up to max boost. However, there are certain turbos that allow max boost very quickly - some can get there by 2300RPM. Most get there around 3000RPM... depends on the turbo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.