Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so this is my first post (so excuse my noobness)
I have a 1989 2.3l lx n/a with an auto trans!

I want to convert it to a manual t-5

so my question is
will a t-5 from 1996 v6 fit my 2.3l
and if it doesn't can I adapt it?

also what are the complete list of trans that fit my 2.3l engine

and yes I do want to keep my 4 banger

I have looked all over the net on different forums
and I can't find what I am looking for!
so forgive me if this question has been answered before.

·
Registered
266 Posts
short answer...no

long answer...the bellhousing and drive shafts are different. If you got a 5.0 t-5 from around the same year you could buy an adapter plate to make it work but easiest thing to do is find a 2.3 t-5 from a turbo coupe, mustang, merkur ect. As long as its a ford T-5 then you may be able adapt a bellhousing to it

The turbo coupe driveshafts are also different (not sure on the merkur) so you would have to get a different mustang one and some bell housings like the 88TC have hydraulic clutches so you'd have to swap that out if you dont want that

*Although just about anything can be adapted so maybe someone really knows what it would take for the 96 v6

*If your starting this thread b/c you have one already then go ahead and try to swap it in and then see what is needed via "trial and error." Any pics would help people who've never done it but know alot about doing other similar swaps

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well thank you for the response
even though it wasn't the one I was looking for
as I have a 96 t-5 I just bought
I was gonna swap in a 5.0
but decided to stick with th2.3l

I dunno If I'mma try to fit it in
as this is my first project car and I really
don't feel like going through unnecessary trouble ha ha

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
The Bellhousings are indeed different. BUT the bellhousing is removable so all you'd need there is a 2.3 5spd bellhousing.

Here's where it gets tricky. You need to measure the diameter of the input shaft where the pilot bearing rides. (or look it up on one of the more detailed T5 ID lists). It'll be really helpful if you measure the length of the shaft from the face of the trans. In 1994 the V8 spec trans got a longer input shaft and a deeper bellhousing.

To find out more on the trans you have, locate the ID number off the tag it starts with 113- or 115- (Can't remember) and a 4-digit number. Google T5 Identification, and have fun. Some lists are better than others.

If the measurements match the 4cyl. T5, then you're good to go. It's just a matter of getting everything else you'd need to swap from an A4LD to a 5spd.

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so indeed it is too long!:sadcry:
now to be able to swap out the input shaft
how do I go about doing that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts