Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats a good beefy sounding exhaust for a 2.3? Someday I plan to stick a Turbo coupe turbo in my engine (or swap the engine, we'll see when the time comes). Anyway, whats a good exhaust to get? I have my eye on the Flowmaster 40 series and the Thrush Turbo. The Thrush is cheaper, which is enticing, but I don't want to sound like a Honda Civic (And I'd love atleast to have a little HP boost out of it)

Any advice? :headscratch:

·
Super Moderator
40,043 Posts
I would not use the Thrush.The Magnaflow sounds good,as well as some others.Check out the sound threads here for some ideas.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I've read up a bit, and I guess it would be good to use the flowmasters on my car. My dad recommended I get a muffler shop to put in duals, and maybe later try and replace the headers. Also, where I live there's no emission laws, so I might remove the cat (Or replace it with a very high flow cat)

·
Registered
411 Posts
i have heard a nice chambered muffler sounds great.. i really dont have anything on my car now..

if you plan to turbo your car, you are going to want to change your exhaust.. dont run any bigger than 2.25" on the N/A, and the turbo can go up to a 3"... so if you plan to turbo, dont get a whole new exhaust, its just a waste of money, there will be too much backpressure with the turbo on...

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
If plans are turbo. Check my exhaust clip in post of 1984 SVO exhaust.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Do you want just the muffler? I have the 40 series flowmaster, its great. A lot of people use them for their 2.3s. Get the 2.25 offset inlet/outlet. I'm not sure about duals. People say its bad since our engines need some backpressure. Other says it runs fine.

·
Registered
411 Posts
i would do the flowmaster 40, maybe a single inlet dual outlet, but thats as much dual as i would go..

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
What I have: 1990 Mustang conv 2.3L turbo, 3" exhaust front to the Flowmaster muffler and right behind that a 4" wide by 8" long tip. No up and over the rear end pipe. It sounds like a 5.0 at idle to 3000RPM and then above that it sounds like a Subaru Impreza WRX turbo garbling. In front it sounds like its sucking up the concrete.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hey I thought that flowmaster wasn't good for the turbo 2.3s? I'm looking for a setup on my 84 svo 2.3T but can't seem to find any that will make it have a nice growl..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.