Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know road racing is looked down upon/illegal by the general public and law inforcement, but then why do all car companies advertise their sports coupes racing through dangerous situations in their commercials?

The Nissan Maxima commercial showed the guys driving it and racing it. Weaving in an out of traffic. Also in that new Honda Civic SI commercial, they show the guy going on the shoulder of the road around the traffic and stomping on the gas and just flooring it(of course then it unrealistically starts to fly onto buildings)

But you get my point? Maybe I'm looking into their advertising too much, any comments?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Because illegal or not, the street racing "scene" sells cars.

It's the same reason Marlboro, Budweiser, etc., make ads that make it seem like if you smoke/drink their products, you'll get get the hottest chicks and be the coolest guy in the bar.

There's lots of illegal/socially irresponsible activities shown in advertising -- the marketing guys don't care about that, their job is to just sell, sell, sell. It's why the Marketing department people are called "Marketing Weasels" in Dilbert.

(no offense to any Mustang-loving Marketing Weasels on AFM! :winks )

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly. I just find it funny then when people get into their sports cars that are made to go fast and advertised as such, an' race around town, people give the :thumbdown . It's like giving someone a cigarette and telling them they can't smoke it.

*Note - I understand it's not right to racing/driving fast during peak hour traffic or when other cars are around, endangering other poeple.

·
Registered
244 Posts
street racing has been around as long as people started making their model-t's faster then the other guys model-t...it's a fact of life, and it's gonna sell cars as long as we are allowed to drive them, I wish more politicians would quit fighting it and just join up, wanna take street racing off the streets, open up more tracks, and dole out heavier fines or punishments...sucks but it's true

·
Registered
179 Posts
adopt the german way...instead of setting speed limits to keep people from potentially acting stupid just keep the stupid people off the road to begin with make driving tests way harder and make it so that you have to get re approved like every 8-10 yrs

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ItsaV6iswear! said:
adopt the german way...instead of setting speed limits to keep people from potentially acting stupid just keep the stupid people off the road to begin with make driving tests way harder and make it so that you have to get re approved like every 8-10 yrs

I second this notion:thumbup . Way too many stupid people on the road.

·
Registered
244 Posts
even with harder driving tests, youll really only take about 2 percent of stupid drivers off the roads...I know that I for one, tried my hardest to drive perfectly while I was taking my test, what happened as soon as I left the DMV with license in hand...right back to normal...

I'm a firm believer in just giving people what they want to keep them out of trouble...but only to an extent...if you want us to stop street racing, set off a nice stretch of land every Friday and Saturday for starters have 2 cops on each end, and just let us race it out there...how would the city pay for that you say, easy, triple the fines for street racing anywhere not approved...

yes the problem is that we street race, but we will continue to do that forever...forever...I myself try to limit my stupid driving as much as possible, but I'm still human damnit, and when I get the urge to open my baby up, you better believe I'm gonna do it

damn I can't wait to take over the world

G

·
I wonder if we could apply the "video games and rock music made me do it" argument here.
Also, having a couple of cops on hand at a street race wouldn't make it any safer, they need to open up more strips. I say we bulldoze some golf courses and lay down the tarmac :smoke:

·
Registered
244 Posts
[QUOTE='95.0 stang]I wonder if we could apply the "video games and rock music made me do it" argument here.
Also, having a couple of cops on hand at a street race wouldn't make it any safer, they need to open up more strips. I say we bulldoze some golf courses and lay down the tarmac :smoke:[/QUOTE]the biggest thing I see that's dangerous at street races, is when dumba$$es pull out of their parking spot when there's a race going on...I've seen many cars slam on their brakes and start fish tailing all cause some jack ass pulled out right in front them...the cars crashing and flipping over and what not, that happens every day whether cars are racing or not... I think the biggest thing that makes street racing so bad is the fact that you don't have to be racing to get hurt, which is where the really relaxed laws come in, I don't believe in just punishing unless you can offer up a solutiong to the problem, to me opening up some streets and calling them tracks is a good start, having police issue out bigger tickets or towings would definitely make people think twice about going...
I'm not saying it's impossible to shut down, cause as long as we love our cars, we're going to find some way to race any way, but a really good way to cut down on a lot of it is to think of some good solutions to getting us off the street...
P.S...I have officially sworn off all reckless driving on street or freeway...seldom will I open my car up now unless it's on a track or a really good safe opportunity arises...maybe by my example my lil brothers will follow, and so on

·
Registered
158 Posts
YORCHI said:
P.S...I have officially sworn off all reckless driving on street or freeway...seldom will I open my car up now unless it's on a track or a really good safe opportunity arises...maybe by my example my lil brothers will follow, and so on
What happened for you to have sworn it off? I got the gist that you are/were really into it.

G

·
Just like you said, you don't have to be racing to get hurt. In order to make a street race as safe as the track they'd have to setup safety barriers. Then there would still be the risk of damaged property like all the buildings that are on that street, etc.

·
Registered
244 Posts
lthompson05 said:
What happened for you to have sworn it off? I got the gist that you are/were really into it.
Oh yes, I still love it, and it's a rush I only get from a handful of things, but I just realized I love my car too much to risk wrecking it before I really get to have fun with. It's great to run up against any car on the street and show them who's who, even if I get my a$$ handed to me, but that's all it is, is street talk...going to a track I have proof of how I did, and how crappy or good I might be. Will I still do it, I know I might be prone to down shift and punch it a few times still, but I am trying to minimize it greatly seeing as how gas is eating me up right now. That and I really don't want to break something in my car and play the warranty game with a dealer. Not enough cars around where I live anyways that really warrant a challenge against me now...not saying I have the fastest car in the universe, far from it, I'm a pretty mediocre driver but I have yet to seen anything greater than a Mustang GT roam around where I live. Will I still go to street races, yes but in someone else's car, will I still rev my car at lights, yes but just because I love how my car sounds...will I weave in and out of traffic, try and beat red lights, chase down every car that drives faster than me on the freeway...no. Biggest reason for that is my little brother, he drives like a typical ricer, and I'd rather get him out of that before it's too late...he already got his car impounded last week for not having a license...he swears he didn't do anything wrong, and where we live the cops do pull u over just because u look weird, but something about the way he drives and the friends he hangs out with make me not truly believe him...

·
Registered
158 Posts
YORCHI said:
Oh yes, I still love it, and it's a rush I only get from a handful of things, but I just realized I love my car too much to risk wrecking it before I really get to have fun with. It's great to run up against any car on the street and show them who's who, even if I get my a$$ handed to me, but that's all it is, is street talk...going to a track I have proof of how I did, and how crappy or good I might be. Will I still do it, I know I might be prone to down shift and punch it a few times still, but I am trying to minimize it greatly seeing as how gas is eating me up right now. That and I really don't want to break something in my car and play the warranty game with a dealer. Not enough cars around where I live anyways that really warrant a challenge against me now...not saying I have the fastest car in the universe, far from it, I'm a pretty mediocre driver but I have yet to seen anything greater than a Mustang GT roam around where I live. Will I still go to street races, yes but in someone else's car, will I still rev my car at lights, yes but just because I love how my car sounds...will I weave in and out of traffic, try and beat red lights, chase down every car that drives faster than me on the freeway...no. Biggest reason for that is my little brother, he drives like a typical ricer, and I'd rather get him out of that before it's too late...he already got his car impounded last week for not having a license...he swears he didn't do anything wrong, and where we live the cops do pull u over just because u look weird, but something about the way he drives and the friends he hangs out with make me not truly believe him...
That's good, it's responsible street racing. You have to pick and choose your battles. There's a difference between street racing and plain driving crazy/dumb.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think it would be good idea to build more 1/4 mile strips. The only 1/4 mile near me is almost 2-3 hours away. I think that would really make a positive impact on street racing. But I can't deny the fact I also do some street racing but I try to do when there is no traffic or cops. It seems like street racing has became a problem overnight in my area. I'm sure it has gradually gotten worse but only after the local politicians made the local 1/8 mile track close during the winter and close shortly after dark. They wonder why people street race.:dunce:

·
Registered
244 Posts
JD04COBRA said:
They wonder why people street race.:dunce:
I seriously wonder if all the people that run our government never did anything their parents didn't want them to do as kids. At least Bill Clinton admitted he smoked pot. You can't just tell people what not to do without really understanding what it is they are doing and why they do it. We all race for the same reasons: adrenaline rush, testing of cars, bragging rights...no one that I know races to hurt themselves or other people, or to damage things on purpose.
I just can't wait to take over the world, I would try and implement some kind of racing registration at the DMV with a mandatory driving school as part of the requirement for getting your racing license. With that you'd be allowed to race at special events held by your local cities or counties. And if you were caught street racing and you had a racing license, your car would automatically be towed and you'd be forced to do community service at the local track to repay the debt.

·
Registered
567 Posts
YORCHI said:
I seriously wonder if all the people that run our government never did anything their parents didn't want them to do as kids. At least Bill Clinton admitted he smoked pot. You can't just tell people what not to do without really understanding what it is they are doing and why they do it. We all race for the same reasons: adrenaline rush, testing of cars, bragging rights...no one that I know races to hurt themselves or other people, or to damage things on purpose.
I just can't wait to take over the world, I would try and implement some kind of racing registration at the DMV with a mandatory driving school as part of the requirement for getting your racing license. With that you'd be allowed to race at special events held by your local cities or counties. And if you were caught street racing and you had a racing license, your car would automatically be towed and you'd be forced to do community service at the local track to repay the debt.
When u do take over the world, can u make sure u build a race track close to where I live :thumbsup And ooh yeah legalize marijuana & ban ciggarettes those thing can kill u :winks just make sure nobody drives high!!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.