Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I posted awhile back about my ABS light being on but not being able to pull codes. The other day I replaced my oxygen sensors with Motorcraft's OEM sensors due to a CEL (check engine light) that came on every so often. They fixed the CEL and actually got rid of the misfire feel I was having cruising at 2k on the freeway. Oddly when I replaced the sensors I noticed a few days later that my ABS light was gone (I also had an exhaust leak at the header/midpipe flange). After about 20 miles I stopped at a gas station (not for gas) and when I turned my car back on it was back. Today when I started it up to go rent my mechanic's lift to fix the exhaust leak the light was off again. After I fixed the exhaust leak the light came back on a few miles down the road. When I scanned the ABS there were no codes in the memory. Anyone experience this before? This was the first time in over 3 months the light went away. Previous owner said the light came on when they were getting it smogged. That along with the exhaust leak makes me wonder if it's somehow connected?

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
the ABS light can be a few things
1) Low brake fluid (most common)
2) Bad ABS sensor
3) Bad ABS module

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fluid level is fine.
The light wouldn't go away if the module was bad would it?
If it was a sensor wouldn't there be a code in the memory?

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
if one of the sensors or the module is "failing", it will intermittently show the light, you need to have someone who has the tool to test the system take a look at it...trust me, I know, I've had my 96 for 12 years and have seen almost every problem these cars can have at least once

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've used my mechanic's fancy $4k scanner to do a full scan. I got a "p1000 obdII system checks incomplete" I assume this is from either clearing my cel or returning my tune back to stock. And also "u1262 SCP data fault for j1850 BUS" under cluster code. all other systems show "** no codes present **"

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW the cel I cleared was for my oxygen sensors a few miles before I replaced them.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
I'm not sure, but I believe the ABS is independent of the ECU, that is why it requires it's own scanner to test the sensors and module...thus the "no code"
btw, my ABS light is on with no CEL, I know the module is bad since I had it checked out by a Ford mechanic who has the tool...my tuner can build you a 1000hp car but he can't work on your ABS system since he always says "I don't have the tool"...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ha. that makes sense. Since it stays off everyonce in awhile I'm going to clean any connections and use some dielectric grease and see if does anything. I wonder how much Ford would charge me to scan it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts