Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, does anyone know of any way to remove the rear abs sensor without breaking it? It's a 1/2" diameter piece of plastic stuck through a ten year old chunk of cast iron with rust "locking" it in. To me it looks like there's really no way to remove it without breaking it off and then drilling it out but I was just wondering if anyone knows any tricks. Would save me $110.00......

Secondly, to remove the axle shafts you have to be able to push the axle inward to remove the c-clip. Do you have to remove the sensors in order to be able to push the axles in or is there enough clearance? With the sensor in place you can only push the axle in about 1/8". How far does the axle have to be pushed in to get at the c-clip?

·
Registered
17 Posts
unfortunately i know exactly what you're going through. i had the exact same problem on my 1997 gt. i talked to a few guys at ford and the only way to get them out is by cutting them. its a terrible design, and i wrestled with them for days. so stop wasting time and order some new ones and get cutting.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went down and picked up a new set today........

First I took a 2" piece of aluminum and ground it so I could fit around the ABS ring and axle flange to be able to hammer straight at the sensor. Didn't work. Too rusted in and ended up cracking the sensor. One shot...

The other side I tried grinding the plastic for clearance like someone said they did. Don't know how they did that because just under the plastic is the copper wound pickup coil for the sensor stud. Second one shot.......

My suggestion for anyone doing a gear swap, maybe you'll get lucky. But, I'd put two new sensors in the budget because you're probably gonna need them.....

By the way, got prices from local Ford dealers ranging from $65.00 to 80.00 ea on the sensors.

Burd Ford here in Indy has a website at partsgalaxy.com if you're looking.
Only $52.70 and $53.42 each for the same Motorcraft sensors.

Left 94-95 rear sensor is Ford P/N F4ZZC190CB Motorcraft P/N BRAB35.
Right 94-95 rear sensor is FORD P/N F4ZZC190BB Motorcraft P/N BRAB34

Not sure but I believe these numbers may be good for 96-99 or later. Just don't know for sure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.