Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bearing in my ac pulley went, so I replaced it with a brand new AC clutch pulley/armature ect.

Now when the ac is on, each time the ac kicks in and grabs the outside armature that spins the compressor, it slaps itself together and makes a pretty noticeable metal on metal clicking/banging sound.

I made sure the gap between the two plates was the right size according to the instructions that came with it.

Is this normal? I dont remember hearing this sound before the old one went bad.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
What happened to the old AC clutch? Did you find a problem with the old bearings?

I presume it does not make any noise when the AC is off.

Also presume the clutch went on straight as well as the pressure plate. And no damage to the nose of the compressor.

Does the presure plate turn freely by hand with the motor off?

If the clutch pressure plate gap is correct, and there is a definite metal on metal noise, are you sure this is not coming from the compressor itself as in internal compressor failure?

Do you have a mechanic’s stethoscope? If so, use it to isolate the source of the noise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The old bearings seals deteriorated and thus the inside ended up drying out and debris just shreaded the inside. So thus i replaced everything but the compressor itself.

the pressure plate does turn freely, and i checked the gap and it is correct according to the instructions that came with it.

The noise is not a constant metal on metal noise, its just a brief metal to metal slap like noise each time the ac clutch engages to spin the compressor.

The noise im hearing is 100% from the pressure plate. When the ac is turned on and kicks in, it grabs the pressure plate to spin the compressor. And the noise is the pressure plate engaging on to the actully pulley, It hits the pressure plate into the pulley when closing the gap between the two and thus you hear the metal on metal click everytime the ac engages.

Just dont know if this is normal, because i never remember hearing it before the old bearing went bad.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
A single metal on metal slap or click is totally NORMAL for the AC clutch engages. It indicates that the field coil is crisply pulling in the pressure plate.

Likely the noise will diminish somewhat as the friction surfaces wear into each other. Also possible to reduce the clearance to minimum levels to reduce the noise.

I got the impression the noise continued after the clutch engaged.

I assume the AC Freon charge is OK and that the compressor is not short cycling.

Have yourself a beer. I think you are done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.