Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my AC compressor and accumulator because it was bearly cooling my 1997 mustang. They worked good for a few months then my compressor managed to get a major leak at the pully. The clutch engaged and disengaged fine.

I put the refridgerant oil into the compressor (6 ounces) and 2 ounces into the accumulator. Put it all back to together and starting adding R134A to the system. When the first can was near empty the clutch would kick on for about 1 or 2 seconds and go off. While adding the 2nd can the clutch kicked on and stayed on. I added the 3rd can and it did the same. Watched the compressor for about 15 minutes, the clutch stayed engaged the whole time. The car cools really well but I need to get that compressor to cycle so I don't burn it up. Any idea's what the problem could be?

Also, it sounds like the compressors clutch engages and disengages a little hard and about 10 seconds after I turn the engine off it makes a few nice squeaky noises for 2-3 seconds. Its a new (not rebuilt) compressor and clutch (came preassembled).

Thank you.

·
Registered
140 Posts
did you vacuum the system before you recharged it? also, too much refrigerant is a bad thing. if you dont have access to an ac machine, i would take it somewhere to have it evacuated, vacuum tested, and recharged properly. thats your best bet.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
You have overfilled the system...... Our cars take 2lbs, 2oz of a combination of R134A and oil. you used 10ozs over what the system is supposed to hold. Do you notice that when you take it off of max A/C does the compressor cycle? Put it on defrost too and see what it does. The squeeking is from the compressor binding. What type of oil did you use?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1st update

Thank you all for your quick replies. :bigthumbsup

I did vacuum the system, to -20psi. The issue is there was a small leak on the high pressure release valve which let some air in before I could manage to get the coolent hooked up. It got to about -10 psi before the R134A was injected. So I'm assuming I have about 10psi of air in there. The AC lines are ice cold and it still cools really well but I don't dare use it till the clutch cycles correctly.

Talked to a friend who is a mechanic, he said there was air in the system. He held one of the pipes while the compressor was running and said there was some hard poping every now and then cause by the air. He also said that when the clutch engages, that loud noise is normal; the system is new it engages stronger. He also said the squeak noise I heard 15 seconds after I turn the car off in back pressure in the lines due to the air. He told me that air in the lines could make the system read pressue wrong and cause the compressor to keep running. He also said a leak on the high side could cause it to do that.

He told me to fix the leak/s and hold the system under about -20 to -25 psi for about 45 mins and see if all leaks are fixed then. If they are put in about 4-6 ounces of oil (because the vacuum will have taken much of the oil out) and 2 cans of R134A. My Haynes manual says the system takes 34 ounces and the cans are 12 ounces.

What do you guys think of what he said?

Also, anyone know where that orifice tube is located at? I have a new one and wish to put it in but can't find out where the old one is located. My haynes manual doesn't even mention it surpriseingly. My friend told me it gos near the accumulator. Antoher says it goes near the radiatior on the low line. And yet another said it is built into one of the low lines and I would have to buy a new hose with a new orifice tube in it.

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reply 2

I think I solved the issue with the clutch. After posting my last reply I started thinking about how the system wont engage the clutch if there is too little pressure. Why wouldent the system not disengage the clutch if there was to much pressure?

I release pressure from the low side for about 3 minutes and the clutch started cycleing. I release a bit extra to make room to add in some oil since I'm sure alot leaked out. The system is cooling decent and the clutch is cycleing which means I am happy... for now. Soon I will need to replace that valve which I deemed tonight was the only source of a leak. Hopfully soon I will have some extra cash to replace the orifice tube (which I still have no clue where it goes) buy some R134A and oil so I can evacuate the system to -25 psi and test for any more leaks, and fill her up. I really hope the over pressure diden't ruin my compressor (been in the system for about 2 days but compressor has only run for a total of maybe 20 minutes tops)

So yeah... anyone know where that dang orifice tube goes? Really really want to replace that for some reason or another.

Thanks all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.