Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of getting ready to install a AC conversion kit on my mustang, The car has the factory system on it. I bought the Sanden style conversion from NPD. I plan on using my present condenser. I did take it off and flushed it out, it is in great condition. Has anyone used this conversion with the factory condenser and how did it work? All so I am told that I can not flush the evap and hoses that go to it with out disconnecting them because it will damage the TSV valve. It that turn? Any suggestions would be helpful. Bob B.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I used my condenser with the factory air on my '67. I did replace the drier. I was told by a friend that there is no good way to clean or refurbish that, and that it would cause problems with the new refrigerant/lubricants in the system. I took his word for it. The system worked great, even using the original York compressor. I don't know about the TSV valve.

As far as 'flushing' goes, if I recall correctly, what we did was evacuate the system overnight, which (when it held vacuum and didn't have any leaks) was able to get most of whatever was in there, out. Then new 134 was put in. I didn't have any trouble with the AC. It was not quite as cold as the original R12, but still did a respectable job of keeping the car cool.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used my condenser with the factory air on my '67. I did replace the drier. I was told by a friend that there is no good way to clean or refurbish that, and that it would cause problems with the new refrigerant/lubricants in the system. I took his word for it. The system worked great, even using the original York compressor. I don't know about the TSV valve.

As far as 'flushing' goes, if I recall correctly, what we did was evacuate the system overnight, which (when it held vacuum and didn't have any leaks) was able to get most of whatever was in there, out. Then new 134 was put in. I didn't have any trouble with the AC. It was not quite as cold as the original R12, but still did a respectable job of keeping the car cool.
Thank you for your input. I did some research and I believe my systems does not have TSV value but uses a Thermostat to control the evaporator temp.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Thank you for your input. I did some research and I believe my systems does not have TSV value but uses a Thermostat to control the evaporator temp.
No wonder I didn't know what a TSV valve is! :LOL:

Hope your project goes well.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I believe that it uses a fixed orifice that flashes the refrigerant before entering the evap coil

Reactions: Grimbrand
1 - 5 of 5 Posts