Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 90 LX "7.up"5.0, but the AC is not working, blowing hot air. I suspect that the freon leaked out the condensor line O-rings. How do I check if the compressor works. What freon does it require R22 or R134??

Im planing to have a repair shop inspect it and maybe repair it for me but I want know what may be wrong or required to repair it before they try to BS me.

Im thinking of working on it myself at work where I acess to equipment to do it even have R22 but will need help from our HVAC guy who is a real JERK.

Any help, suggestions or oppions will help..
Thanks.

·
Registered
912 Posts
it would be r12 unless it was converted(could be wrong, mine didnt come with a/c lol) but you can tell from the fittings, if it has threads on the insde and a quick disconect fitting its r134, you can always jum the pressure sensor to turn the a/c compressor on, just dont let it run without refrigerant in it, and make sure to add some oil as well, weather its r134 or r12 its a diffrent oil, make sure to get oil with dye or dye to add to the system to check for leaks.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You need to have it converted to 134a, vacuumed down, and charged to properly assess the system. Just because the compressor turns on doesnt mean it is not weak.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I had my system converted a couple years back. They also added the dye, but so far it's been working well. If its really low on the refrigerant, the compressor shouldn't kick on. Luckily I trust the shop I go to and they didn't charge me too much.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
797 Posts
Converting your A/C to R134A is no big deal.

Drain the system, change the o-rings, add PAG oil and then check the vacuum...ad r134a and you are off and running.

Essentially anyway...that is an over simplified version, but it's pretty close to how it needs to be done.

·
Registered
176 Posts
There is a way to jump the compressor to make sure it is working. I just converted mine. First determine if you have factory air or dealer added air. The relay on passeger fender was bad cost 20.00. Disassemble system. Flush evaportor, condenser, ac lines. You can use ac flush(18.00). I used two cans of brake parts cleaner(6.00) with compressed air. Replace orfice tube. If the orfice tube is fixed in line, advanced sells splice kit. Pay attention to which direction orfice tube is in because it does make a difference. Replace accumiltor-dryer with hose(75.00) the material in there is what will clog your system(orfice tube and condeser). Got to replace it or it will clog again. Replace all seals and vacuum system and make sure it holds vacuum. When switched to e-fan I did not hook it up to compressor since ac didnt work. Fan has to be on in order for condesor to do its job. It should only take two cans of r-134 that has oil in it to fill system (40.00). I did replace relay on top of accumiltor-dryer(25.00). I had a mechanic friend help me with mine he had ac lines and vacuum canister.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts