Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so pretty much the only mods I have on my car performance wise is a JLT cai ith 93 tune and a pypes axleback exhaust. Since the tune my throttle responce is amazing. I have an Auto tranny and this WRX comes up to me the other day revvin up his ricey exhaust. So I was like this will be interesting. We did a 40 roll and I took him pretty easily and had about 2 car lengths on him. We then pulled up to a red light and we rolled down the windows he said you have a nice car so I had to be nice and say you too. As soon as the light turned green we both took off. I turned off my traction control and just punched the pedal all the way and my wheel spun for a good at least 2-4 seconds and then I finally got moving but by then he was gone and he didnt burn any rubber at all. So pretty I was just wondering for racing and stuff with an Auto, this mat sound done, buts what the best or proper way to get best 0-60 time when doin a little drag with other cars?

I'll still take my GT an day :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't know much about racing, but why did you turn your traction control off? If I am not mistaken, this is what keeps your tires from spinning. By you turning it off, you caused the car to spin off the line. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

S

·
0 Posts
Practice. Do it till you can get it where the wheel spins just a tad. Trying to get the pace at which you "roll" your foot onto the pedal. Stomping it isn't gonna be good unless you got some awesome tires(drag radials). That balance between the speed at which you can roll onto the pedal vs overspin.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
+1 on practice. plus don't the WRX have all wheel drive? i heard that can be a pita to launch but if they know how, they'll take off like a mofo.

·
Registered
335 Posts
This is where a 4.10 rear comes in! It's down the road motors.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Never, I repeat never race with your traction control on. A 4.10 gear, stickier rubber, and practice practice practice your launch. The WRX is all wheel drive and in it's element at a stoplight drag. Go to the track (1/4) and you should reel him in. He will eat you in the 1/8.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
WRX is a 13 second car. Get some drag radials and its over for him!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
the wrx is all wheel. and ur on the street man im sory to say you will never have traction if you launch.. the only way you will is if you eas into it. and gears will only make it worse on the street. get suspention stuff rolling that will help but on the street vs a wrx? they have low, low end torque and awd so they dont spin much. get him on the track throw some slicks on ur car and put a 500$ bet down ull take him.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
If you get 4.10's, then def get some DR's and pratice alot more or you'll spin alot more off the line.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Keep your traction control on, and put a set of 4.30's in the rear. Your GT should have a 5 speed automatic, so it shouldn't effect your fuel economy by much. I'm not condoning street racing, reason being it puts too many innocent people in jeapardy, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup P.S. But if you happen to run into him again, after everything I told you he'll never bother you again. Because he'll get spanked so bad, also a good set of drag radials would help, Mike.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
571 Posts
get a Upper Control Arm/Lower Control Arm package and practice I say. these will eliminate wheel hop and improve your traction, and practice of that will not only improve your cars traction and time, but help tone the skills.

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Alright so pretty much the only mods I have on my car performance wise is a JLT cai ith 93 tune and a pypes axleback exhaust. Since the tune my throttle responce is amazing. I have an Auto tranny and this WRX comes up to me the other day revvin up his ricey exhaust. So I was like this will be interesting. We did a 40 roll and I took him pretty easily and had about 2 car lengths on him. We then pulled up to a red light and we rolled down the windows he said you have a nice car so I had to be nice and say you too. As soon as the light turned green we both took off. I turned off my traction control and just punched the pedal all the way and my wheel spun for a good at least 2-4 seconds and then I finally got moving but by then he was gone and he didnt burn any rubber at all. So pretty I was just wondering for racing and stuff with an Auto, this mat sound done, buts what the best or proper way to get best 0-60 time when doin a little drag with other cars?

I'll still take my GT an day :bigthumbsup
You will never be able to launch anythig like a WRX. The Physics are simple.

And be glad it wasn't a STi, it would have most likely beat you from a roll too.;)

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
WRX is a 13 second car. Get some drag radials and its over for him!
Even with good rubber his mods are not going to enough to do anything but keep up with a STi with standard mods. My buddy has an 08' and I did his tune, downpipe and axle back (an it does not sound anything ricer) and the car made 297hp at the wheels. It only weighs 3350lb also. The car is pretty damn fast.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone 4.10's are my next upgrade. What are DR's and what do they do, a good brand name would be nice too? And don't get me wrong WRX's are very quick but since I'm in CT and there is snow and they have AWD they are VERY popular I see one everyday. Sounds pretty much like gears, dr's, and practice and I'll be all set to take out those little toys :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
DRs are drag radial tires. Nitto 555R's, BFGoodrich Comp TA DR are examples. They when heated up will be more stickier than a regualr street tire but not as sticky as a true slick. You dont want these in CT. I ran them on my 94GT and they got stuck in a dusting of snow. They are scary in the rain and they wear much faster than a regular tire. The only way you want to run these is in the summer on dry days and if you have another set of rims. I wouldnt even drive down the street in the snow on them.

And WRXs are not toys. If he ups his boost his in the 12's for cheap.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I don't know much about racing, but why did you turn your traction control off? If I am not mistaken, this is what keeps your tires from spinning. By you turning it off, you caused the car to spin off the line. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
You must not drag race. If you are drag racing the TCS is a liability. With more power you will need to start making changes for traction. The easiest thing to start with are a good set of sticky tires. With your mods that should do it. You could get new LCAs and an UCA to tighten thingsup a bit. The best thihg you can do is go somewhere that can practice launching, that is the best improvement you can make. Good luck and happy hunting.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^^
They are fast, but I consider them toys when stock or with just a ricey exhaust(even then I don't like them). Just my opinion and thanks for saving me the trouble of getting DR's I prob would have gotten them if you didn't tell me lol

·
Registered
274 Posts
Go FI and don't full with the rice burners any more start looking for camaro's, vets, challengers and goats:bigthumbsup.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Agree don't mess with WRX's at the stoplights. Those fools always want to race me light to light at I've always just laughed at 'em, when NA I could usually take them because their operators didn't know how to row or something. I know they can beat my a** from light to light now that I'm boosted and I don't care but they do care for some reason. They even rev their engines in rain, snow, sleet, etc like maybe I'm stupid or somethin.

Still, very nice, well designed and marketed cars. I seem to recall some AWD pickup a few years back that cleaned up at the stoplight battles, can't recall which one (maybe an S10 of some sort?) but maybe others can learn from Subaru, not that we need more ricers revin' their chainsaws at the lights but makes for fun!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.