Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the world of carberators so forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question ... sooo at lights and stop signs I find if I accelerate to quickly there will be a noticable lag or pause between the pedal beeing pushed and my car moving .. is this the throttle linkage or just a side effect of a carbd car?

Thanks

Thomas

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm thinking the floats need to be adjusted. I don't remember what kind you have, but they are easily adjusted. Just post what you got and someone can tell ya how if you are not sure.:cooldude:

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.That's normally the result of either the float level being too low or the power valve opening late,neither of which is a big deal to correct.Hope that helps.:)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok .. so a couple days ago I looked at my carb and assumed it to be an Autolite but it turns out it wasnt .. i posted a picture of it on another thread and all the feedback I got was that it was a Holley ... soo im not sure ...

Thomas

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think you may be S.O.L. here, Solid. Despite my mad Googling skillz, I can't find anything online even remotely resembling a manual for that carb. Here's what I did find:

The Holley 1946 (which looks an awful lot like the carb in your picture) was used in 1979 - 1983 Mustangs and Cougars. Autozone provides manuals for those cars, but the tuning info will be for the engines they were attached to, not yours...

Haynes makes a manual for Holley carbs which will include yours. You can probably find it at Amazon.com...

Hope that helps. Sorry I couldn't find anything more... :(

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey thanks for the effort ... I've been lookin as well ... im not sure what to do rite now .. ill post when i figure it out ..

Thomas

·
Registered
115 Posts
Good call! :) Lemme know what you find out. I'm curious. I have to admit, I was surprised to learn that Holley even ever *made* one-barrel carbs! :what:

·
Registered
360 Posts
I would think the most likely cause of the hesitation would be the accelerator pump system. Does the carb give a squirt of fuel immediately upon moving the throttle?(engine off of course!!) It could be worn linkage or an adjustment out of whack. Check the carburetor linkage itself first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.