Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
It sounds logical.
I know I wont be the first to try it.
On the flipside, Acetone and plastic/rubber dont mix.
I would be concerned about the effects on my fuel system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ixtlan said:
It sounds logical.
I know I wont be the first to try it.
On the flipside, Acetone and plastic/rubber dont mix.
I would be concerned about the effects on my fuel system.
Pure acetone doesn't mix well with rubber/plastics - but when it's diluted 3oz into 15gal, that's:

1920oz:3oz
3/1920=0.0015625 or ~.16%

Less than 1 percent acetone. I'm sure there's additives in gasoline that would destroy out fuel systems if they were pure. Hell, I'm sure there's stuff in the rain that we drive through that would melt rubber if it was pure.

I just added 3oz to a fresh tank of 93oc gas, and I'll see how much my mileage increases if at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
MAXX RS4 said:
Pure acetone doesn't mix well with rubber/plastics - but when it's diluted 3oz into 15gal, that's:

1920oz:3oz
3/1920=0.0015625 or ~.16%

Less than 1 percent acetone. I'm sure there's additives in gasoline that would destroy out fuel systems if they were pure. Hell, I'm sure there's stuff in the rain that we drive through that would melt rubber if it was pure.

I just added 3oz to a fresh tank of 93oc gas, and I'll see how much my mileage increases if at all.
I will watch for the results.
Interest to see what happens in the Real world.
 
G

·
Any results yet? I get about 13 mpg too and I've heard of this, but like he said I don't want to be the first to try it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I've got a 232 in mine and it gets decent mileage, I'd love to know what type of gains we can expect
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK. So I'm almost done with my tank, it's just at the last notch with a 1/4 tank left and I have 230miles so far. I also have been doing A LOT of stop and go driving this tank and have had to do tons more starts and restarts because I'm doing very short distance commutes at this time. I also had about 20miles of HIGH rpm running the other day on the tank to.

I'm estimating I'll get atleast another 40miles before I tank up, which is a drastic improvement on my mileage. Almost an added 30-40 extra miles. I've also had lower (normal) running temps and a more even idle since I've added the acetone.

Nothing is has gone wrong yet either, so I think this is the key to my success in mileage increasing.

My advice, go buy some acetone and enjoy your new econocar!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,859 Posts
I may consider this, but where do you get acetone? I think I'll try it in my truck first then the stang.
 
G

·
MAXX RS4 said:
OK. So I'm almost done with my tank, it's just at the last notch with a 1/4 tank left and I have 230miles so far. I also have been doing A LOT of stop and go driving this tank and have had to do tons more starts and restarts because I'm doing very short distance commutes at this time. I also had about 20miles of HIGH rpm running the other day on the tank to.
That's better mileage than I get on 100% highway driving. I'm convinced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup. Finished off the tank at 257miles. I actually still had almost 1/8 tank left, but I drove past a citgo with gas for $3.15 and couldn't pass it up.

You can get acetone at hardware stores in the paint sections and probably at any paint warehouse. Make sure you get something that's 100% though, as any additives may affect the octane levels of your gas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,313 Posts
Have you stopped to think that maybe putting Acetone in your fuel has made you pay more attention to your driving habits than actually helping your Mustang get better MPG’s?

Or

Acetone is in alot of fuel system cleaners. Maybe, just maybe, the Acetone you put in your fuel has actually cleaned your fuel system and therefore, with a clean fuel system, you are getting better MPG’s?

Acetone burns hotter and quicker than gasoline (lower octane). When you add Acetone to gasoline it’s kind of like going to regular unleaded. I would bet that going to regular unleaded would give the same results.

Sorry! I’m not buying the Acetone/Gasoline Urban Legend thing. Keep trying people!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, no. I don't think it's made me pay more attention to my driving habbits. I did several tanks with strict attention to to my driving and I drove as close as I could when I added the acetone.

I also had a full fuel system cleaning done about 4 tanks prior to the acetone.

Don't use it, it doesn't bother me.

And hell, if adding it makes me drive in a different way, then I'll continue to use it. It's still increasing my mileage.

:wavey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,313 Posts
Whatever floats your boat. I wasn't trying to disrespectfull.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top