Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son bought an '87 5.0 GT recently. We are NOT mechanics.

The seller told him not to stomp on it because it needed clutch oil.

Can someone explain to me what is involved in adding oil to the clutch?

Would a non-mechanic such as myself be able to do it?

Thanks!:worship

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
The car uses oil in the transmission only.

To change the transmission fluid do this.

On the passenger side there are two plugs. Top is fill, bottom is drain. Use a 3/8" ratchet w/ or w/o extension to fit inside the lower plug and remove it. Put the lower plug back in with teflon tape on the threads.

Remove the top plug. Go inside the car and remove the shifter cover (basically just pull up on it and it snaps out). Run a small hose w/ funnel on top through the shifter area into the top hole. Pour in 2 3/4 quarts of Automatic transmission fluid (Dexcron Mercon 3). Yes your manual transmission car does use Automatic transmission fluid! Be sure not to spill any fluid inside the car.

After you pour in 2 3/4 quarts wait about a minute or 2 and it should start to come out of the fill plug. After it stop spilling out put the plug back in with teflon tape.

Done.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
even the most auto illiterate can change the clutch oil because it doesnt exist in your car. as far as trans fluid do what ghost dog said. remember it takes mercon atf. maybe it needs a clutch cuz it slips. post if you need help :smoke:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ratman418 said:
My son bought an '87 5.0 GT recently. We are NOT mechanics.

The seller told him not to stomp on it because it needed clutch oil.

Can someone explain to me what is involved in adding oil to the clutch?

Would a non-mechanic such as myself be able to do it?

Thanks!:worship
Clutch Oil is pretty much the same and Blinker Fluid and a Crank Splitter.....They don't exist. Probably just add some tranny fluid and you'll be fine. Around $2 a quart and you need 3 at autozone or wherever you chose to go. Don't sweat not knowing all this stuff because that's what this forum is for. :winks

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Nope, :cool: you guys are all wrong...
Everybody knows that clutch oil is most commonly used on muffler bearings.:kooky:
In all seriousness though, perhaps the seller was trying to convey that there are some clutch actuation issues. Seller might have thought it was a hydraulic clutch, but it's a cable. Could be stretched, or more likely, the wussy plastic pawl and quadrant up under the dash might be ready to strip. If this is the case, just get an aftermarket setup with the metal quadrant and adjustable cable.
Definitly wouldn't hurt to change out the transmission fluid also.

G

·
meangreen92 said:
Nope, :cool: you guys are all wrong...
Everybody knows that clutch oil is most commonly used on muffler bearings.:kooky:
I was waiting for it. So, who is gonna explain to the newb the difference between single and dual henweigh? :eyepoppin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, B. Busters!

I appreciate your repsonses to my ignorance!

And all your advice!

I DID laugh too!

:dunce:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.