Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I have the mach 460 system in my 1996 GT convertible. It sounds good when the interior is all sealed up. But when I drop the top and roll down the windows the sound get's pretty bad, especially the bass. I'm aware of the details of the Mach system and how its wired too.

I have a four channel amp and a subwoofer w/amp that I had installed in my previous vehicle. I'm also on a budget, trying to save for college too.

Here are my current options:

1). Just put in the subwoofers by wiring them in-line to my rear woofers.

2). Replace the head unit with Kenwood Excelon KDC-X395 CD receiver at Crutchfield Signature

or a similar head unit from Kenwood or Pioneer and then wire in my sub through the pre-out.

3). Replace the head unit, and speakers with Infinity Reference or Kappas and utilize my 4 channel amp and sub through the pre-outs.

I know this is a lot of text here. I would love to do option 3 right now, but I dont have the budget. So my biggest question is:
Will replacing my head unit and adding a sub give me a good sound? I am worried that the only way that I will get to have good sound is if I replace the whole thing.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay this is basically a request for a post removal. I dont want to look like an idiot with an unanswered thread. lol.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you want my advice I'd rip the who 460 system out. Granted it's not that bad but if you are gonna spend money on upgrading it I would just do the whole thing. I tried as you did by first adding a sub to the system and then a head unit but it seemed a lot easier to just rip the whole system out and replace everything. You can get component systems that have tweeters that fit rather nicely into the 460 window tweeter boxes without much modification.

I'd say save your money and replace everything at once. It's not going to improve the quality that much if you just add something here and there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts