Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greets Folks:
I've check several of the threads regarding this subject before posting, but none directly address my concerns. Looks like there's many opinions as to the intelligence of adding a hitch to a "pony." The photos I've seen do not look nearly as bad as some of the posters would have you believe. I'm actually considering installing more of a "dummy hitch." This would involve installing-drilling into the underframe and adding just the hitch box, stem, and lighted hitch cover for looks & added safety (leaving the tow ball and any other heavy duty accessories absent from the initial installation--but retained, just in case). I do not currently have anything to tow. I've seen many trucks with these. Several of these lighted, wired hitch covers work very nicely as a secondary, oversized brake light. Thinking safety here. I'm wondering if anyone else has done this or priced this job out? I'm definitely going to a have a shop perform this project, as it doesn't appear to be a do-it-yourself job for the avg. Joe like myself. I've only got 1 bid so far from my local Pep Boys, which seems to employ mechanics of questionable skill. The estimate they gave me was at $300, but I thought this might be a tad high for this job? Thinking maybe of buying the parts separately from a discounter (eBay, truck specialty place?) and then bidding out the labor? Also, does anyone have any comments with regard to theft or vandalism of hitch covers and prevention of such?
No need for further opinions as to whether this looks good or not, as there's already hundreds of responses in this regard. Thanks for any and all responses!

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
There are some really good hide-a-hitch setups out there that place the receiver under the bottom of the bumper cover making them really hard to see and they do the job well.

Doing what you are suggesting will not be very strong in regards to towing or utilizing it in any real fashion. You need a properly engineered and designed setup that won't come apart if/when you do tow. Mustangs are not rated for towing and as such are really only gonna safely handle under 1000lbs.

I would stay far away from anything and anyone "discounter" when looking for towing supplies and installations. Go to a good name RV center. They are the best possible qualified to do the job right and safely. Pep-boys hires anyone with a pulse to work on cars. Avoiding them is an understatement.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.