Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first Mustang, a 2002 GT, and want to add some power since she is all stock right now. What are some inexpensive but sure ways to do this? I've heard performancechips are bad news, and someone said that cold a cold air intake wouldn't work? Please help!

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Gears and subframes are the first thing to do, then either exhaust or CAI.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
My 2004 GT Was stock up until a week ago. I just got a slp loudmouth 1. I could feel a little more power but not much. But I would just start with that then maybe a cold air intake and then the sct tuner. My plans now are Xpipe, Cold air intake with SCT tuner. underdrive pulleys and 3.73 gears.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just bought my first Mustang, a 2002 GT, and want to add some power since she is all stock right now. What are some inexpensive but sure ways to do this? I've heard performancechips are bad news, and someone said that cold a cold air intake wouldn't work? Please help!
Who the hell have you been talking to?

Chips work but, only if they are actual chips (like SCT 4-Bank) and not some pile of dog **** eBay scam. Actually, you should never use a chip when there is a handheld tuner available (SCT XCal).

Cold air intakes work. Not as much as they are claimed to. 5hp would be a generous amount of power from one. That is why you don't buy name brand ones and go with the $70 American Muscle part or eBay ones.

As for inexpensive, define that for us. $100? $1,000?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Gears (4:10's) and a tuner combo would be the first thing I do, then maybe sub frame connectors, exhaust, CAI, lowering springs

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'd say a Cold Air Intake for starters, its typically one of the first mods done. Sub Frame connectors are a must and work wonders! Then getting to some other good stuff, Exhaust - many options there, Gears, UDP's and a SCT Handheld Tuner.

It'd be best to get a tuner b4 u start getting into the exhaust and gears as u will need it custom tuned to maximize the full benefits of those mods and to also shut the CEL for the O2 sensors, etc

o and Welcome to the Mustang Club!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Who the hell have you been talking to?

Chips work but, only if they are actual chips (like SCT 4-Bank) and not some pile of dog **** eBay scam. Actually, you should never use a chip when there is a handheld tuner available (SCT XCal).

Cold air intakes work. Not as much as they are claimed to. 5hp would be a generous amount of power from one. That is why you don't buy name brand ones and go with the $70 American Muscle part or eBay ones.

As for inexpensive, define that for us. $100? $1,000?

Just mostly asking around online haha, but you never know who to believe. And I did buy an $80 CAI, and am installing it next Sunday. Also right now I can only afford mods around $100.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts