Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put in a AOD transmission with a tv rod and its going to be solid on the top end on all the adjusting is going to be at the bottom. How can I adjust it?
Thanks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I don't know how much this will help, but I have a TV cable, and when I installed it, I found a video on YouTube that told me exactly how to adjust it, by a Ford tech. It worked great. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I googled it and after looking at some of the instructions I'm a little bit worried.

·
Registered
173 Posts
If your not confident in doing this get it done by a trans tech...... you don't want to toast the trans ! It can happen quickly.

Ric

·
Registered
42 Posts
post a picture of your rod where it connects at the carb and also at the transmission.
I too have the cable and didnt even know you could use a "rod" (solid metal piece) in a conversion.
Adjusting the tv cable, and if there is an adjustment end for the rod, should be similar. You can mess up the adjustment and ruin your trans quickly from what i hear. It made me nervous but i adjusted mine anyway and used two methods.
I initially followed the instructions that came with the Lokar tv cable. It said to slide the ball stud up to the carb connector and snug it down. They provided a tool/spacer to insert between the carb and ball to simulate 2000 rpm. I connected a gage to the tv pressure port and fired it up. I adjusted the Lokar cable until I got 35 psi in neutral with the spacer installed. I then removed the spacer and had 0 psi at idle in neutral, as per the instructions. Didnt work for me because the shifts were way too soon. I was in third by 22mph and OD by 28-30. I read some stuff on the net that said to try for a 3-5 psi reading after the spacer was removed. Didnt help either. I went to two popular transmission shops in our area. They know how to aod cables in cars originally equipped with them but i was told they set it, drive it, and repeat until the shifts are decent. I asked about the 3 psi on the gauge thing and they said that was out the window in a conversion. I emailed and corresponded with a man at TCI transmissions. He confirmed that the 3 psi adjustment would likely be worthless. What is important is that the adjustment needs to be such that when the throttle arm moves, the cable has to be moving also....no slack. When i did that, my shifts improved. I ended up taking up few more thousands in slack and got the shifts acceptable but still a little too early. I was worried about too much pressure, but i've got over 3k miles on the trans and it works well but ...... I've been in correspondence with Silverfox Performance Transmissions and described the problem of the shift points. This was an inherent problem with the stock valve body and they have fixed it with their replacement valve body according to them and others i've talked to. So, it's likely you too will not be totally happy with the shifts until the stock valve body is replaced. That's next on my list. Best of luck.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where did you get the gauge you were talking about? I will post a picture of the rod as soon as I find my camera. Its gone awol and I can't find it.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
42 Posts
The gauge came in the kit. It's basically worthless in a conversion. Like i said, when the throttle moves the tv cable moves with no delay due to slack in the cable.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the lokar cable and I have to say that its a overpriced POS. To many parts included with to many left out for purchase later. I stuck with the TV rod that came on throttle body cars in the early 80's. It looks like a kick down rod but its not. I loosened the rod at the transmission arm and had a friend pull the throttle in the wide open position. Then I pulled the arm on the trans mission into the wide open position and tightened it down. I put about a hundred miles on it so far without issue but if I did have shifting trouble I would mark the current position and back it off 1/16th inch at a time until 7/16ths were done. But I'm not going to since it works fine. I even get overdrive to work and the tach stays at 1100 rpm's for smooth sailing. I just need to work on a lighter touch on the throttle, because it doesn't take much to get it moving.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.