Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to adjust my valves on the 289 (hydraulic lifters). A friend has a valve cover with the top cut out and he says I can adjust the valves with the engine idling. He says he loosens them one at a time until it just starts to clatter or tap and then tighten it back up slowly until it stops.
Has anyone done this?
Any reason to not do it this way?

Thanks
Ron

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hello Ron,
You are lucky to have a set of covers cut. I used to use this method back in the day. The benefits of doing this method
1. - Quick and way less smoke
2. -Gets you pretty close to adjusted

I probably would use this method for a regular street driver.
There are several thing to keep in mind but I bet your friend knows
1. -Back off adjustment slowly so not create excessive slop which could result in a bent pushrod
2. - If the valve covers ar cut to allow you to feel the pushrod then I would use the spin method and not rely on my ears.
The spin method is just gently turn the pushrod as you go to re-tighten the rocker. When the pushrod stops rotating with your fingers, tighen 1/2 turn and you should be great.

If this motor is going to be heavily raced I would do the long process of bringing each cylinder to TDC and adjjusting.....However after lookig at the history, I think this is a driver.
Great great job on the car you guys should be proud............Print Dad

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
with the engine running is the best way to adjust. once the rocker stops clattering, + 1/2 turn. slowley! us fuel injected guys just wish we could do it this way. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Ron,
You are lucky to have a set of covers cut. I used to use this method back in the day. The benefits of doing this method
1. - Quick and way less smoke
2. -Gets you pretty close to adjusted

I probably would use this method for a regular street driver.
There are several thing to keep in mind but I bet your friend knows
1. -Back off adjustment slowly so not create excessive slop which could result in a bent pushrod
2. - If the valve covers ar cut to allow you to feel the pushrod then I would use the spin method and not rely on my ears.
The spin method is just gently turn the pushrod as you go to re-tighten the rocker. When the pushrod stops rotating with your fingers, tighen 1/2 turn and you should be great.

If this motor is going to be heavily raced I would do the long process of bringing each cylinder to TDC and adjjusting.....However after lookig at the history, I think this is a driver.
Great great job on the car you guys should be proud............Print Dad
Thanks for the kind words Print Dad. The 66 is a daily driver for my son so it is not a race car (as far as I know :happyhapp) except for a few planned trips to Sears Point for Wednesday Night Drags. Going to have an empty garage when he leaves for college in September, dont know what I will do with free weekends.

with the engine running is the best way to adjust. once the rocker stops clattering, + 1/2 turn. slowley! us fuel injected guys just wish we could do it this way. :bigthumbsup
Thanks cindys_sn95 for the reply and I appreciate your help! I will go borrow the valve cover and do an adjustment on the valves this Sunday. This might be a good item to add with pictures to the chris66dad webpage.

Good Luck and Be Safe
Ron
http://chris66dad.tripod.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts