Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem...I bought an ACTUAL Mustang II front end clip (NOT an aftermarket one), and it seems that the crossmember is too wide for the frame of my 1967 Mustang.

I've done all the cutting of the shock towers, taken out all the old suspension parts, and welded in the Heidt's boxing plates, but I'm confused as you-know-what after attempting to mock up the crossmember.

In the article I referenced below, and in EVERY article I've read, the crossmember drops INTO the engine compartment.

http://www.hotrodhotline.com/md/chassis/ifsinstallationheidt/

Has anybody ran into this before? What am I doing wrong? Please help! Thanks!

:worship

J

·
0 Posts
The article mentions a "crossmember kit" which looks like it has a crossmember along with the boxing plates. Are you trying to use the Mustang II stock crossmember?

Multi-Fit Mustang II Crossmembers

notes:
56” track width crossmembers fit frame rail from 24” to 30”
60” track width crossmembers fit frame rail from 27-1/2” to 33-1/2”

·
Registered
324 Posts
The purpose of buying the aftermarket crossmember is so it will basically drop right in and weld up after your basic vehicle shock tower and frame mod. Also so you can use newer tubular lower control arms so you dont have to have the original strut rod lower arm of the mustang II. The original MustangII crossmember is not going to drop right in and weld up. You are going to have to notch it in. The aftermarket world does that for you by having it in 3 pieces that are notched out for this already. I believe they also change the geometry some to try to correct bumpsteer. Just bite the bullet and buy and aftermarket crossmember and control arms it will handle better in the long run. I you still want to put in your stock crossmember get out the plasma torch and start cuttin. Its called fabrication for a reason. If it were easy they would do it at Jiffy Lube.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Jozsefsz: Yes, I'm trying to use the STOCK Mustang II crossmember

@Matthew: Nice to see another Washingtonian on here, I used to live in Spokane, haha. Anyways, thanks for the info, you're absolutely right on, I'm either going to have to fabricate what I have, or bite the bullet and buy an aftermarket kit. :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts